Load balancing IPv6 UDP

• It seems that none of the cloud providers have internal load balancers that can handle IPv6 UDP.

For reasons beyond sanity, I need to run several resilient UDP services and I want to do this from inside a VPC. All inbound traffic will come via an interconnect.

Is there a cloud provider with this capability?

Why can’t or won’t the well known cloud providers do this? By all accounts it is not even on their roadmap.

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• Doing a quick google, I found this:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23774596/udp-client-and-server-using-ipv6

Quick read on that (it is short) is basically that the network interfaces don't support listening on both IPv4 and IPv6 at the same time.  Mind you that reply is from 2019, so things may have changed.

To make things more fun, IPv4 doesn't require a checksum on the UDP packet, but IPv6 does.  So the overhead of calculating that checksum, while likely to be tiny, would use up some resources - source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6

If this is functionality you require and is a must, I would reach out to some of the big name cloud providers and determine which one can suit your needs.  If they are not aware of the demand, they are not going to be working to implement anything.  Can't put it on the roadmap if you don't know your customers are looking for it.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply