Linking to 2005 from 7

• I'm trying to establish a linked server from a SQL server 7 to SQL server 2005 on another machine.  I've used linked servers in the past, they work so well you never have to set them up again, so I don't do it everyday!

I've established a logon on the 2005 machine for testing, and gave it SysAdmin just to make sure I don't have permissions issues.  From the SQL 7 machine, I can't seem to establish the linked server.  I've tried Server Type "SQL Server" with the Linked Server name as the IP address, the machine name, and the DNS name.  I've tried MS OLD DB Provider for SQL Server with all of the above as well.

I keep getting "Server does not exist or access denied".  The server does exist, and a VB program using the same Login and password (via ADO) can access that server.

Do I need to install some kind of drivers or support files on the SQL Server 7 machine to allow it to link to a SQL server 2005 machine?  Any other ideas?

Student of SQL and Golf, Master of Neither

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I'm still fighting this problem.  Does anyone even have any good guesses?

Student of SQL and Golf, Master of Neither

• I had the same problem when we upgraded a system from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005.

On the SQL 7 server setup an alias on the Client Network Utility and have it point to the name of the SQL 2005 server and use TCP instead of NetBios to connect. 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply