Linking Server: Same Server Twice

• Hello,

I read in an earlier thread that SQL Server allows a linked server to be created for the same server. I'll just have to select the server type as Other Data Source. Is this true?

I have an existing linked server that does not have sufficient permissions and I would like to create a new linked server but connecting to the same SQL Server using a system administrator login.

Thanks!

Melanie

• Right jsut define another linked server using the SQL ole connector is what I use.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Hello,

Do I need to enter a provider string? I've been doing this all morning without a provider string and I always receive the error that the SQL Server does not exist. When I go into the Properties of the linked server, all settings except the name is erased.

Thanks,

Melanie

• Just thinking but you could create another server alias thru client network utility and create the new linked server exactly like the old only using the new alias as the name. This will make it easier to do for you.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Hello,

Thank you for your response. After all of this... to make it very easy, I'll just create a job on my second server that will poll a table for an entry created today. I prefer to not have to create a special system administrator login for the purpose of linking the server to run these jobs.

Thanks for all of your help!!

Melanie

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply