Linked Servers Role

• Hello,

I have been asked a question which i am struggling to find information online. When you set up a linked server  does the user referenced in a linked server automatically gets the db_ddladmin role, if not what role does it get?

Thanks in advance.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  rogue1009.
  • Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• Which user? Do you mean the user that you specify as the credential when you create the linked server? This is a credential on the remote database that you have already set up. This isn't a user that is added to the remote by the create linked server dialog

If you look here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/linked-servers/create-linked-servers-sql-server-database-engine?view=sql-server-ver15

This notes that you can use the security context of the user querying the linked server or set up a set of credentials to connect. This is a way to set a security context for a user that runs your query on the remote system.

Or are you asking for something else? It's not clear what you mean by the user.

• Thanks for getting back to me.

What I meant was, if i set user a as the specified credential is it given  db_ddladmin role on the database automatically.

• No, no rights are set. You must configure the rights on the remote database.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply