Linked Servers and Active/Passive Cluster

• I am trying to create a linked server from my cluster server to an off-site server. For the sake of this argument, lets call the active node cl1 and the passive node cl2. When using EM on cl2 and creating the linked server, it seems fine. I go to cl1 (it is created there also now since I did it on cl2) and open EM, but the linked server does not work. If I delete it and try again from cl2, it still only works on cl1. I don't think it has anything to do with which is active or passive. THe error I get is:

Error 7399: OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB' reported an error. OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'SQLOLEDB' IDBInitialize::Initialize returned 0x80004005: ].

Thanks

• Did you use same authentication mode to register SQL Server in EM in both servers?

• I did register the off-site server in both EM using the same authentication mode.

Is that what you mean?

• I mean register your virtual SQL Server in EM in both nodes.

• Allen,

You da man. Thanks for clearing my brain on this one. On one of the nodes I was using Windows Auth instead of SQL Server authentication to register the local server...DOH!

Thanks again.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply