Linked Servers 2005 to 2008

• Good afternoon all,

I've been playing around with a new 2008 sql server that we have and I've been trying to get it linked up with an existing 2005 server.

This new server is to replace one that has become a little bit dodgy, I've set up a user on the linked server with just dataread permission and when I try to set the link up from the 2005 server it errors on a Login Timeout.

I'm wondering if there is any compatibility issues regarding linking 2005/2008 servers.

I had similar issue last year and I think we got round it by putting a 2005 instance on the server and linking that way but I'm trying to avoid doing that if possible.

Any help or pointers on this would be greatly appreciated,

thank you.

Reyvon

• Did not think you could link to a 2008 server from 2005, but must admit, I have not tried.

Will wait for others to answer...

It help if you explain what the linked server is being used for.

• sorry I should have explained that the 2005 server is the Reporting server and the 2008 server is the webserver.

so all the 2005 server will be doing is getting the data and putting into various tables on a couple of databases for reporting purposes.

one of the main things is that we also have a 2000 server that pulls from the existing webserver (2005).

So if you can't like 2005 to 2008 I guess i'm really going to struggle with an old 2000 server.

• We've created linked servers on SQL 2005 pointing to SQL 2008 and vice versa with no problems. What's the exact error that you're getting?

Colleen M. Morrow
    Cleveland DBA

• I'm getting the following error message, I've tried logging onto the box and linking the server up from 2008 to 2005 but i get the same error.

connecting via a username and password that i set up that should allow access. I've even tried connecting via the sa user and password but still get the same issue.

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

------------------------------

"The linked server has been created but failed a connection test. Do you want to keep the linked server?"

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server [53].

OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server returned message "Login timeout expired".

OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server returned message "An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.". (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 53)

• If you're logged onto the 2005 host or the 2008 host, are you able to ping the other server, either by hostname or IP?

Colleen M. Morrow
    Cleveland DBA

• Good afternoon,

sorry for my delay in replying to this but I've been on a training course.

I can't ping the 2008 box from the 2005 and same goes other way around, the course I was just on I asked the instructor if he'd encountered anything like this and he mentioned something about mixed security on 2008.

Not being the one who installed/set up the 2008 sql box I'm not sure if they enabled this option. I'm just looking into and doing some reading up on it now.

• Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the quick replies when helping me on this post but I've managed to get the servers linked. I spoke to our IT team who add to sort out some firewall permissions that I was unaware of.

Again thanks for the responses.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply