Linked server to Sybase ASE on SQL 2005 (x64)

• I am planning an upgrade to an existing server, moving from 32-bit SQL 2000 to 64-bit (AMD x64) SQL 2005.  I need to be able to reproduce our existing linked server to a Sybase 12.5 server.  The existing link uses the generic MS OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers, which behind the scenes is using the Sybase (OEM) ODBC driver.  Unfortunately, the MS generic driver is not available on x64, nor does Sybase have an OLE DB provider--or ODBC driver for that matter--for x64.

I have started looking around for 3rd party solutions but so far have little to go on.  Does anyone know how I can get this to work?

If not, has anyone implemented a workaround similar to the one described by ehosca at http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=423426&SiteID=1?  I'd like to get more details on the implementation.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Dunno if you're still reading this but -

I haven't tried it yet on our system, but can't you install the x86 OLEDB for Sybase and it will run in 32 bit?

Roger L Reid

• Unfortunately, if you're running 64-bit SQL Server on an x64 machine, linked servers can use only 64-bit drivers.

I found that Sybase and one other vendor plan to release 64-bit OLE-DB providers sometime soon (I think they were due in beta about now but I stopped staying up-to-date).

Another vendor sold one, but I couldn't make it work on my system.  In working with their tech support it was clear to me that their product is not mature enough for me to have any confidence in, even if they had found a solution--which they did not find.

I have implemented a workaround based on the one mentioned in my first post.  Unfortunately it required changing code that uses linked servers.  Basically I had to nest the existing linked server query inside a new one.

In my case, the main Sybase server will be converted to SQL Server 2005 in a couple months so I've stopped looking for a long-term solution.

• Hi,

I have experienced this problem to; works fine on SQL Server 2005 32 bit but alas no drivers available for the 64 bit version to Sybase.  (thing to note is that even if you manage to configure  a third party ODBC in the odbc data sources if it does not show up in the provider list in the linked server of SQL Server then it won't work)

Using WOW will put an entry in the User DSN but as you need it to run in a 64 bit environment not 32  (Using the Sybase ECDA works fine from the Sybase 32 bit end to the SQL Server 64 bit ).

I placed a call to Sybase and their tech support told me to download the Software Developer Kit (we previously used open client installed on the windows server to get the driver), their email stated;

SDK 15.0 provides Adaptive Server Enterprise (ASE) OLE DB Provider by Sybase.  Please refer to the SDK 15.0 Release Bulletin.

http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/topic/com.sybase.dc74865_1500/pdf/sdkrb_win.pdf

The Sybase SDK Version 15.0 products are available on the following Microsoft Windows Platform:

• Windows 2000 (x86) Service Pack 4 (32-bit)

• Windows 2003 (x86) Service Pack 1 (32-bit)

• Windows XP (x86) Service Pack 2 (32-bit)

• Windows 2003 (x64) (Service Pack 1)

Please see in the release bulletin, the limitation of ASE OLE DB and ASE ODBC DB provider when used with ASE 12.x.

you can download  EBF 14183, which is SDK 15.0 ESD#7 for Windows 64-bit from the Sybase download webpage

However this did not load the OLE DB in the ODBC data config in Admin tools or place it in the provider list in the linked server of SQL Server.

I also tried DataDirect Connect64 for ODBC on Windows, Release 5.2, which did install the wired odbc driver, which I configured in the odbc data sources but did not show up in the provider list in the linked server of SQL Server and I could not create a linked server to Sybase (error messages)

I still have my Sybase support call open so will update if I get a resolution

very fustrating though to be stuck in 32 bit land when you have over twenty 64 bit servers forced to use 32 bit because of this,

g

• Thanks for this information.  Please do update as you learn more.  I ended up side-stepping this issue due to lack of time; it was not a top priority for us.  But as is often the case I still want to get this working if I can.

• I am exSybase (dont ask, I wont admit it again) and I would try the following:

1. Have you called Sybase Tech support (1 800 Sybase8&nbsp .  They may already have somthing working that is not public.
    2. Can you setup a small machine in 32 bit then do a double hop to get your data.
    3. Try calling your local sales office and have them send over a sales engineer.....you might get lucky.  
    4. what about using CLR procedure?

Let me know how it goes

Eric

• I had mentioned that I side-stepped the issue due to lack of time to further pursue it.  That was by using idea #2 (hop to 32 bit instance, then to Sybase).  We don't make extensive use of linked servers, and at the volume we're using, it's working fine.

ideas #1 and #3 would take working through some politics in my organization...not worth my time.

I think but haven't verified that #4 (use CLR) would have the same problem.  I'd bet that I couldn't get to Sybase from a CLR routine without a 64-bit driver since the CLR routine would be running as 64-bits.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply