Linked server to an Oracle database

• I am trying to set up a linked server to an oracle server. Here is the code I am using:

EXEC sp_addlinkedserver

@server = '192.168.35.20',

@srvproduct = 'Oracle',

@provider = 'MSDAORA',

@datasrc = 'inf0460a'

GO

SELECT *

FROM OPENQUERY( [192.168.35.20], 'select * from INFORMENT.ADDRESS_INFORMATION')

GO

The SQL server keeps on returning this message

OLE DB provider 'MSDAORA' reported an error.

[OLE/DB provider returned message: Oracle client and networking components were not found. These components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of the Oracle Version 7.3.3 or later client software installation.

Provider is unable to function until these components are installed.]

OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'MSDAORA' IDBInitialize::Initialize returned 0x80004005: ].

The Oracle client has been installed on the SQL server as well as on the client machine. Has any one been able to set up linked server into an Oracle database? Maybe some one has encountered this problem before? If so, what is the fix?

• Wich SQLNet Alias do you have installed in the clients and in the server?

Check:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;277002&Product=sql

• Can you clarify-what do mean by SQL*Net Alias. I see references to it all over the place, but do not see where or how to do this. Is this something you do on the SQL server? Or is it something that is done on the Oracle?

• Check out the SQL Server Mag site.

They did an excellent article about the beginning of the year on this topic. I cannot remember the exact month. We followed the article and it worked OK.

Try about March of 2003

The article should be called "The direct connection"

• did you modify tnsora file on client machine?.

open cmd promt

type tnsping

post the result.

• I had to go through this recently, what a headache! The tnsnames.ora file is a config file that has basically the connection string. I finally got it built by accident after trying everything in the Oracle admin package (download from their site). Once you get that, remember that Oracle is sometimes (always?) case sensitive.

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply