Linked server to 2005 cluster

• Hi guys,

somehow i'm unable to configure linked server from a stand alone 64 bit SQL server 2005 sp2 to a cluster 64 bit SQL server 2005 environment sp2.

i get the following error:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

------------------------------

"The linked server has been created but failed a connection test. Do you want to keep the linked server?"

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server [53].

OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "TEST" returned message "Login timeout expired".

OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "TEST" returned message "An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.". (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 53)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=09.00.3152&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=53&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

&Yes

&No

appreciate any help on this.

• Have you tried enabling TCP/IP protocal and connecting this way rather than named pipes?

Francis

• no i haven't, but i can try

• Do you have DTC services turned on in services.

• yes

• this worked............, i configured an alias using tcp\ip.

thanks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply