Linked Server Security

• hi,

I have a SQL Server 2K box that has a stored proc that uses a linked server(access database). I (admin) can run the stored proc all day long.

Here is my problem. People who are not admins can't run the stored proc, they get an OLE DB error 7399. I have other stored procs that they run with no problems, just the one with using hte linked server. I've checked the permisisions on the new proc to an old proc and they are the same.

If I promote a user to an admin, they have no problems running the proc. Am I missing something with respect to security on a linked server. By the way, the access database has no secuirty....admin with no password gets you in. I can't go around promoting users just so they can run the proc.

Thanks in advance,

Mike Stalford

• 'Linked Servers' have security as well.

(Right click on the linked server in EM, and choose the security tab)

Is this setup that only admins can use the linked server?

Steven

• Thanks for the input. I've checked the security tab and I have the last option button selected, "Be made using this security context" - and I have the login name and password (which in MS ACCESS is blank). We are in a Citrix envrionment. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it?

the fact that the user can run the other stored procs that don't use the linked server makes me think that it has something to do with the security of the linked server.

Thanks,

Mike

quote:

'Linked Servers' have security as well.

(Right click on the linked server in EM, and choose the security tab)

Is this setup that only admins can use the linked server?

• both sides of linked servers have security.

In this situation i would create a special user to use that has execute rights to the sp.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply