Linked Server Security

• I've created a linked server from sql 2000 to oracle and it is working fine. My question/problem is that i want to view the security that I've set up on the linked server and nothing shows up on the security tab in enterprise manager or when i execute the stored proc: sp_helplinkedsrvlogin. It's as if no logins exist for this linked server but i mapped 3 logins for sure. i did a refresh in EM and still no security shows up. i've looked in BOL and i've executed all stored procs possible and no logins show up. ANY ANY help would be appreicated..

• But the linked server does show up? Logins are stored in sysxlogins in master. Look for the ones that have a serverid >0 - that value should correspond to the serverid in sysservers. Not sure why you can't see it. Once you verify the login is in sysxlogins you might try pulling the TSQL out of sp_helplinkedsrvlogin and seeing what might be throwing it off.

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• Andy, thank you for the idea. I can see the individual records for the logins in sysxlogins but it just occurred to me at 4:00 AM this morning what the problem might be. I've been selecting domain users from my pull down list in the LOCAL LOGIN box. I use WINDOWS AUTHENTICATION here so I don't key in any sql server logins manually. today i used the SA userid as a local login and now i can see this login in the security tab when i go back to check the server properties. I also created a fictional login in sql server security and i entered that login in the linked server security and i can also retrieve that login after refreshing the server. Can you tell me why the windows nt domain users don't show up or are they never truly being mapped to the remote userid/password?

• Nope. I'll try to experiment a little when I have time.

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply