Linked Server Query incorrectly returns 0 rows on SSMS

• Hi all,

Need help to figure ut why the remote query I execute on the server return 0 rows , but the same query returns over 900k rows in the target DB.

the string is less 8000 characters long so I won't post it here.  but this is the sctructure basically:

declare @SQL varchar(MAX);

declare @D varchar(15);

declare @Per varchar(15);

declare @NextPer varchar(15);

declare @NextYPer varchar(15);

set @D = N'01-JUN-2019'

set @Per = N'2020004';

set @NextYPer = N'2021004'

set @NextPer = N'2020005'

set @SQL = N' SELECT  ...... '

set @SQL = N'select * from openquery ([LK1], "'+@SQL+'")';

execute( @SQL);

print @SQL;

Note: the linked server works and is used on other openqueries with shorter strings successfully. I tried using EXECUTE (@SQL) AT  and I still get 0 rows.  When i exexute the print output directly on the Oracle DB , the query runs for about 15 min and gives results.

Please help me, I'm desperate. I appreciate it.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by  saphiros.
  • Just a guess here but if it takes 15 minutes to run on the actual target DB there is a good chance your linked server connection is hitting a time out threshold.  Depending on the driver many connections have a time out built in.  Check your ODBC connections on the server.  Also I wouldn't be doing a 'SELECT *' over the network like that.  You will likely experience some serious network waits depending on the size of the expected result set.  Try the same query with a specific record first and see what comes back.

SELECT quote FROM brain WHERE original = 1
    0 rows returned

• the query runs for about 15 min and gives results.

And you expect 900k rows, that's gonna take a while, so you probably get a network timeout.

You could also minimize the transferred data to count the number of rows, for test.

select [NumberOfRows] = count(1) from ....

Later replace * with a list of needed columns.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply