Linked server permissions issue

• andrew.davies 84954 (7/19/2012)

did that end up being the problem? One is 32 bit and its trying to run a linked server against a 64bit version....BUT....it has no problems running other stored procedures on the same SQL server..

If your SQL Server version is 32bit you should be able to create link server with MAS90 and run your stored procs fine. I would like to know why are you using another 64bit version between sql server 32bit and MAS90

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” -- John Quincy Adams

• Server A doesnt have access to Mas90, so i have to fire off a stored procedure on a server that does have access to mas90...this will populate a table that i can then grab from.

• Do you have the mas90 driver installed on your laptop?

• Hi Andrew,

Also have the same issue where on server A you can run a query connected to a linked server but when trying it on a desktop client connected to server A all you get is the ...[ProvideX][ODBC Driver][FILEIO]Table is not accessible error!!!!:angry:

Any suggestions greatly appreciated! Thanks, Steve.

• I recently had this same issue, sql 2005 and the linked server is linked to a SAP ASE database server. To resolve the issue I gave the user access to the server itself, on the windows side which resolved the issue.

My concern now is im not exactly sure of the correct permission to provide since I tested by adding the user to the Administrator group under computer management.

I suspected the user running the query through the linked server on SQL would need access to the ODBC connection created within windows. Again im assuming, which is "the mother of all evil", but as most user posting here I too was out of ideas and figured id try the above.

Edit* And i just realized this thread is 2 years old lol

• Hi Team,

Please help me to remove permission from Linked server to particular user in sql server.   I want to remove permission Like insert,update,delete,drop,alter,exec permission from linked server in sql. Only give select permission on Linked server.

• You can't control permissions from within your linked server connection.

It depends on the permissions granted to the account that's on linked server (the destination).  If you want to restrict that account to only have SELECT permissions then assign the db_datareader and the db_denydatawriter role on the linked server (and ensure that the login is not a member of any elevated server roles)

______________________________________________________________________________Never argue with an idiot; Theyll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

• I know this is old, but I think It may helps other, it is case sensitive guys. Please check it.

Viewing 8 posts - 61 through 67 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply