Linked Server : MS Access 97

• Hi,

I have added a Linked Server to an Access 97 database. I have not done this before and have ran into a few problems. Network permissions aside (they really gave me trouble!) I have managed to add the database to different servers fine, but with varying results.

The SQL Servers run under the same account with the correct permissions to the location of the database.

Using domain Authority (as a member of the sysadmin role), I added the linked server to my department's test server. I set up the Security to connect with the password "Admin" without a password. The Access database does not have a system database.

Under domain authority (as mentioned above) I cannot see the tables within the database. When I edit my SQL Server registration properties to connect as the system administrator "sa" account, I can see the tables.

I must also execute a query against the linked server logged into Query Analyser as "sa".

My question is this: How do I set up the security that: under domain authority (for my account and others) I can 1: See the tables in the server and 2. Run queries against the server without using the sa account??

• I have seen same issue but no ideas why it works in this way. You don't have to give everyone 'sa' to run query against it. Instead, create a generic login id with proper permissions and let everyone use it to run query to Access database from QA.

• Hi,

Although Domain Accounts do not seem able to work, it WILL work with SQL accounts. It doesn't have to be SA.

Thanks,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply