Linked Server Issue

• I upgraded a 2K server to 2K5 last night. (Actually I uninstalled SQL2K, rebooted, and then installed SQL2K5).

I can use linked servers fine, but in SSMS if I right click on one to see it's properties, or try to create a new one, I get the following message:

Cannot show requested dialog.

Additional Information

Cannot find table 0. (System.Data)

Has anyone seen this before and know what to do about it? It seems to only affect one server. I can create/manage linked servers for all other sql servers in our environment, including a second server that was upgraded last night.

The Redneck DBA

• May be something might have corrupted during ssms installation...

Try to remove and resinstall SQL tools or re-apply service pack...

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• I don't think it's a(n) SSMS issue. I don't use the SSMS on the server, I use a copy installed on my workstation. But just for grins I did try it on the server, and have the same issue.

The Redneck DBA

• I think that you're missing something from your new Install or it lost the location of something.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• What would cause the linked servers to work just fine, but SSMS not be able to manage them? I can manage them with scripts fine also. Strange.

The Redneck DBA

• I have tried this before and found this resolved my issues.

you can try this, but this doesnt guarantee a solution in your situation.

What are your SQL Server Service account Running under, are they using localsystem, if yes change them to run under a Domain account or a Administrator Account (Trick). Also use Asmin(SA) Credentials to Login to Server and try again.

• Service account is local admin on the server, and I log in with windows authentication, with my windows user being a sysadmin.

The Redneck DBA

• We rebooted that server last night for other reasons, and magically it is working fine now. I don't know why, but I'm not going to complain!

Thanks

The Redneck DBA

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply