Linked server failure

• When i try to do test connection in linked server  from server A to Server B, Linked server failed with error "Login failed for user NT authority/anonymous logon failure"  when i tried to do SPN registration on server B i see the server is running under local system account. how to fix it.

• I am pretty sure the proper way to fix that you need to change the service account for the SQL instance to a domain account.  Once that is changed, you will need to restart the SQL instance, and you should be able to register the SPN and allow the connection on the linked server.

Alternately, you could create a read-only account on server B and connect as that read-only account from the linked server on A to B.  downside to this is you lose tracibility as all linked server queries would run as the single account.

As a last resort (HIGHLY not recommended) you could allow NT Authority/Anonymous access to the database.  If you go this route, I would restrict that account down as much as is needed for the linked server.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply