Linked server error

• All DBA's,

I'm getting an error when trying to execute the command below. The remote server is setup as a linked server on the local machine and I'm not sure what is causing the issue. The only thing I can think of is that the two servers are in differenct domains, but the developer says it used to work previously and the credential has permissions on the servers. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

David

• what specific error do you get?

are you trying to connect via a trusted connection, or with a SQL username and password?

the more details you give, the more we can help!

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Whats the code?

:cool:

"There are no problems! Only solutions that have yet to be discovered!"

• Lowell,

Sorry I forgot to post the error (below). Trying to run this statement logged in as a user with 'sysadmin' permissions.

Msg 7202, Level 11, State 2, Line 1

Could not find server 'cyn-sqr' in sys.servers. Verify that the correct server name was specified. If necessary, execute the stored procedure sp_addlinkedserver to add the server to sys.servers.

Hope this helps and thanks in advance,

David

• Sounds as if you have the name incorrect or some one deleted the linked server.

:cool:

"There are no problems! Only solutions that have yet to be discovered!"

• server names with hyphens can be a problem.

do you get results with this command?

EXECUTE sp_tables_ex 'cyn-sqr'

--or

EXECUTE sp_tables_ex [cyn-sqr]

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• I have the linked server name correct and it is also qualified with the other server's domain name as well. It used to work before so I'm not sure why it's not anymore.

• did you ping it since across domains someone may have shut you off

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply