Linked Server does not support the required transaction interface

• Ok i really don't get this.

We are using SQL 05 and importing data into it from Access through a Linked Server.

This is the error message i get (not always, which is why I'm confused):

The requested operation could not be performed because OLE DB provider "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0" for linked server "PPM" does not support the required transaction interface.

In the transaction, I am only reading data from Access tables and inserting into SQL tables.

Outside the transaction, I update Access Fields to confirm Import (Flag is set in Access tables on successful Import).

It executes successfully 9 out of 10 times.. why does it go wrong otherwise?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

• Look at this

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2012999&SiteID=1

oj suggested using an update on an openquery()

• NO! I am not performing an UPDATE within the transaction!

SO.. ideally it shouldn't ever give me an error!

Like i said, it works fine almost every time.. this error is more like a 'once in a blue moon' kinda thing. I know it sounds ridiculous but that's just how it is!

Weird, right?

I have no experience in db development, I'm a fresher.. learning things.. so there might be something I'm missing out on.

HELP!

PS: I haven't faced this problem after my post but I'm waiting for it to happen again! 🙂

• read out the windows and sql error logs when the error occurs and post us which would help us to give valid suggestion on this.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

• !~! Now I have to wait for the error to occur again cuz I have no record of these error logs! One of our testers reported this to me a long time ago and like I said, this error hasn't ever resurfaced!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply