Linked server

• New request is not allowed to start because it should come with valid transaction descriptor

We get the above error when we execute the select query in SSMS. My query has linked server reference whereas when we execute the query directly in the linked server it works fine without any error.

• I think the big questions that come to mind are:

1 - are you fully patched?

2 - is the latest .NET installed?

3 - how are you calling the linked server?  Is it a 4-part naming OR with Openquery?  Does the problem go away if you switch to the other method?

4 - do you have a DTC server set up and if so, can you confirm that it is handling the requests properly?

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• 1 - are you fully patched?

yes we are fully patched

2 - is the latest .NET installed?

yes it is

3 - how are you calling the linked server?  Is it a 4-part naming OR with Openquery?  Does the problem go away if you switch to the other method?

we tried with 4 part naming. I turned off XACT_abort option and now it worked. We did not try the open query option.

4 - do you have a DTC server set up and if so, can you confirm that it is handling the requests properly?

DTC is not enabled in the server.

• So to confirm - the problem is resolved by turning off XACT_ABORT?  That is a new one for me, but good find!

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Be good to see the Linked Server definition and query.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply