Linked server

•  

Hi

I have 2 servers A and B for which I need to setup a linked server.

these are SQL servers.

When I right click on server A and select the option create new linked server and I enter the new linked server name as B and in server B when I select the option create new linked server do I enter the server name as A or anything else

Thanks

• It depends.  Are you needing to change who it connects as?  Are you needing RPC?

My advice, try it out.  Make the linked server and see if it works for you.  Then check if it works for someone with less permissions than you do.  If it works for you and them, pick a few more test users to try it out and fix any issues that come up.

I'd also find a user who shouldn't have permissions and see if they cannot access it.  Basically, make it and make sure it is set up how you expect.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Who will be using the linked servers?  If it is a session such as a SQL Agent job which is local to the server, then it should work.  For the case where the session originated on a client machine or some third server machine, then you will have what's called the "double hop issue".  Essentially the server A by default would not have permissions to pass the credentials on to server B over the link unless some extra setup is performed.  There are a number of articles online about it, such as this one here on SQL Server Central:

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/a-brief-explanation-and-solution-for-the-double-hop-problem

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply