Linked AS400 stopped working

• John Cooper (5/21/2014)

Did you ever find a working solution for this? I am having the same issue 🙁

Read two posts above yours. Try that to see if it works. It has worked for me.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thanks Jeff,

That's what I have been doing is opening it in SSMS, clicking on properties and then OK.

I was wondering if someone had found a better way. I manage 45 servers with 5 Linked Servers each so even though the properties

tab thing works, it's not practical.

I wonder if there is a programmatic way of doing it maybe? I'm going to investigate that.

• John Cooper (5/22/2014)

Thanks Jeff,

That's what I have been doing is opening it in SSMS, clicking on properties and then OK.

I was wondering if someone had found a better way. I manage 45 servers with 5 Linked Servers each so even though the properties

tab thing works, it's not practical.

I wonder if there is a programmatic way of doing it maybe? I'm going to investigate that.

I'd do a trace/xevent session against a dev server when opening the linked server properties window to identify what that actually does and then maybe try running a script that duplicates those actions against another dev server to see if it fixes the problem.

• Thanks Jack !

After much trial and error I found the trick.

I set up a scheduled job that runs every 5 minutes that executes this statement:

exec sp_enum_oledb_providers

This is the magic statement executed when you click on properties and then click OK.

• John Cooper (5/22/2014)

Thanks Jack !

After much trial and error I found the trick.

I set up a scheduled job that runs every 5 minutes that executes this statement:

This is the magic statement executed when you click on properties and then click OK.

Haven't done a deep dive on it but that seems like a very nice trick. Thanks for posting it.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• I was working on this problem for a client and came across this thread. I experienced the issue when using a 2-node SQL 2012 cluster, when the clustered instance's node changed the jobs relying on the AS400 linked database would stop working.

The following code resolved the issue by adding a startup procedure, allowing the clustered instance to move freely:

USE [master]

GO

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

EXEC sp_configure 'show advanced option', '1';

RECONFIGURE

EXEC sp_configure 'scan for startup procs', '1';

RECONFIGURE

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

CREATE PROC [dbo].[usp_enum_oledb_providers]

AS

GO

sp_procoption 'usp_enum_oledb_providers', 'startup', 1

This was cobbled together from a couple of blog entries I found so i'm afraid i'm not sure all the code is needed (my expertise lies mostly in network infrastructure and virtualization) but it works!

Hope this helps someone.

• btjtaylor (7/14/2015)

I was working on this problem for a client and came across this thread. I experienced the issue when using a 2-node SQL 2012 cluster, when the clustered instance's node changed the jobs relying on the AS400 linked database would stop working.

The following code resolved the issue by adding a startup procedure, allowing the clustered instance to move freely:

USE [master]

GO

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

EXEC sp_configure 'show advanced option', '1';

RECONFIGURE

EXEC sp_configure 'scan for startup procs', '1';

RECONFIGURE

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

CREATE PROC [dbo].[usp_enum_oledb_providers]

AS

GO

sp_procoption 'usp_enum_oledb_providers', 'startup', 1

This was cobbled together from a couple of blog entries I found so i'm afraid i'm not sure all the code is needed (my expertise lies mostly in network infrastructure and virtualization) but it works!

Hope this helps someone.

I have nearly identical code on my instances. On the third-party-provided, um..., "appliance" that we have (kind words for a real POS 😀 ), it rarely works during a reboot or even a restart. There's really something wrong with that system but I'm mostly not allowed to touch it to find out.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Hi,
      I am getting the below error when using Oracle linked server. The vendor modified the structure of his DB and now the source(Oracle) has columns as VARCHAR2(32767 Byte), so my select * into [Sqlserver].Table from Openquery (xxxxx,'select * from Oracle.Table') gives me the below error. I tried all the solutions posted here, but nothing works for me. Please help.

OLE DB provider "OraOLEDB.Oracle" for linked server "xxxxx" returned message "The system cannot find message text for message number 0x80040e21 in the message file for OraOLEDB.".
    Msg 7340, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
    Cannot create a column accessor for OLE DB provider "OraOLEDB.Oracle" for linked server "xxxx".

• Also got this error in SQL2017.

The "trick" mentioned above, does work:

"simply opening the properties on the link ‘fixes’ the 7340 error. I opened then closed the properties window and the ‘broken’ jobs started to work. "

But that does not feel very comfortable...

• This thread is timeless.  Every time I set up a new instance, I forget about this until my AS400 linked server inevitably stops working a few days later.  And each time I end up here again.  Thanks everyone for helping find the sp_enum_oledb_providers solution, especially John Cooper.  This is still an issue on 2019 instances.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  camaro305hp.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply