Limited Time Offer: Licensing by Scale for SQL Server

• 10/10!

Almost forwarded this before I read "April fools" 😀

• I was in the middle of forwarding this on to my management when I read the April fool's line. Duh!

• Heh heh.

So is the SQL 2014 official release an April Fools as well? 🙂

• Yeah, it was exciting and I really questioned it as too good to be true. Oh well, we can wish for it and wait and wait and wait and wait and...Something tells me MS isn't going to go for something like this since they're making money hand over fish with their current licensing. Nice one, Steve.

• While the April Fool's joke is great the sentiment behind it is very serious. IMHO Microsoft is driving away SMB in a number of ways.

In my case we have a set of large scale (>1TB total) transactional databases on a couple of metal servers. But we simply cannot afford the development effort to meet the churn of constantly updating to new editions (whether .NET, Visual Studio, SQL or Windows Server). We also cannot afford the nearly punitive license requirements which required us to "upgrade" to SQL 2012 simply to add the equivalent of an additional SQL 2008 server.

The pricing and upgrade requirements are making PostgreSQL look better and better each day.

• Michael Oberhardt (4/1/2014)

Heh heh.

So is the SQL 2014 official release an April Fools as well? 🙂

Nope

• Ray Herring (4/2/2014)

While the April Fool's joke is great the sentiment behind it is very serious. IMHO Microsoft is driving away SMB in a number of ways.

In my case we have a set of large scale (>1TB total) transactional databases on a couple of metal servers. But we simply cannot afford the development effort to meet the churn of constantly updating to new editions (whether .NET, Visual Studio, SQL or Windows Server). We also cannot afford the nearly punitive license requirements which required us to "upgrade" to SQL 2012 simply to add the equivalent of an additional SQL 2008 server.

The pricing and upgrade requirements are making PostgreSQL look better and better each day.

Yep, a good joke has some truth.

I wish this were true, and maybe it will be some day.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply