Limit CPU per Database?

• SQL 2005:

I've hunted without much luck, but I'm curious if there's a way to limit a particular database to only using, say, 50% of certain resources (like CPU).

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

Al Bsharah
    Blog / Twitter

• Create an Instance of SQL Server move the desired databases to this server which can be configured for reduced resources.

I do not think that this is available on a per Database level, only at the Server level.

Andy

• I attended an MS presentation where a feature was discussed in SQL Server 2005 for NUMA processors (AMD, Itaninum, also I think IBM or Unisys have an Intel based NUMA architecture), where you can specify multiple port numbers for a single instance and tie a specified number of processors to each port number. This isn't exactly per database CPU, but its a little closer. The example given was, say you have OLTP application give it 6 processor and a reporting application say 2 processors and have each application connect on the different port. This approach may or may not be better than multiple instances. I would like to see something similar to Oracle in SQL Server, where I can restrict CPU and query execution time per login.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply