Life Organization

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Life Organization

• "I walked outside to take the call during a break and was told I wasn"t responding quick enough to the call. The emergency? A test of how quickly I'd respond on a Friday night. Note that we were not a 24x7 business. I was asked to resign on Monday after pushing back Friday night that I wasn't answering any more pages that weekend."

Wow, that's some major arseholery right there. I bet you're pleased to have got past that one! Respect, it sounds like you've earned your chops.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I'm trying to learn to do better at writing things down in a planner. But then I get too busy to write it all down and things lapse or creep up on me. Its a little discouraging but I find that every time I get a little better at writing it down, I get a little less stressed and that's the goal.  So keep trying is all I can say or advise.

Luther

• This may be the most unusual life-planning story you have ever heard.  My wife handles most of our appointment scheduling and social planning, especially while we are riding around town when calls or messages arrive.  She also loves to use voice recognition because she so much enjoys the entertaining results in the invites she sends to our phones and computers.  This week was the prize-taker by far.

Recently she took a call and scheduled an appointment for 3:00 yesterday afternoon saying 'Pick up prosthetics'.  Yesterday morning when our reminders poped up, the message told us to 'Pick up prostitutes'.  This should be an interesting weekend.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• Excellent topic, Steve. I'd say I'm good at organizing some things, but as you've put it, I'm realizing I have more of a vertical organizational approach. For example, user group meetings, doctors/dental appointments, etc. I put them all into my Outlook or Microsoft ToDo. Both transfer fine to my Android phone, so no problems, as far as this go.

But there's other things which I don't put on any list. Such as helping my daughter with a website for her writing business. Getting some things done around the house, which are long term and expensive projects (i.e.: they can't be done at any moment, but instead take planning, money, etc.) These are all on a sort of backlog, but not written down or recorded anywhere. That means I'm more than likely going to forget them, at least for a while. Then suddenly, something comes up and I go, "Oh yeah, I've got to help my daughter with her website!"

So, in some vertical domains, I do a good job of organizing myself. But not entirely across my life. This is just another example of me compartmentalizing my life. I'm not really found a way to wholistically organize my life.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• "I walked outside to take the call during a break and was told I wasn't responding quick enough to the call. The emergency? A test of how quickly I'd respond on a Friday night. Note that we were not a 24x7 business. I was asked to resign on Monday after pushing back Friday night that I wasn't answering any more pages that weekend."

Sounds like you were relieved of a very toxic workplace. It's rarely great to lose a job, but sometimes staying would be worse. Lucky for us here on SSC you ended up on a better journey.

Thanks.

-- webrunner

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  webrunner.

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• Looking back over my work life there is much I regret. I now realize all the 60+ hour work weeks were not worth it. My wife asked me early in our marriage who I wanted raising my kids, me or someone else. I tried to be an involved father by being a soccer coach, Boy Scout leader, youth group leader, and being in parent support groups. Problem was dividing my time between work and family and friends. Was I trying to be some kind of super dad? Sadly, I think everything suffered as busy schedules and too much involvement placed too much stress on myself, hurting relationships and health. All that was put into perspective about 18 years ago. My son was on the high school swim team and at one practice he drowned. They found him on the bottom of the pool, pulled him out, and gave him CPR. We spent a night in intensive care. He drowned on a Thursday evening, we brought him home on a Saturday, they said he could return to swimming on Tuesday. Went from being dead with heart stopped and lungs full of water to swimming 5 days later! I believe it was a miracle, but more of a miracle for me than for him. It put life in perspective, what really matters? I realized chasing the American Dream is not what it’s cracked up to be. Family and love are much more important than things. When we make lifestyle choices how much do we consider the importance of caring and time with those who are important to us? Uncomplicating life brings more quality to life and allows us to appreciate God’s creation.

• call.copse wrote:

"I walked outside to take the call during a break and was told I wasn"t responding quick enough to the call. The emergency? A test of how quickly I'd respond on a Friday night. Note that we were not a 24x7 business. I was asked to resign on Monday after pushing back Friday night that I wasn't answering any more pages that weekend."

Wow, that's some major arseholery right there. I bet you're pleased to have got past that one! Respect, it sounds like you've earned your chops.

Yeah, I wasn't upset to resign. My wife completely understood as well since I was working way too many hours, with too much stress.

• latkinson wrote:

I'm trying to learn to do better at writing things down in a planner. But then I get too busy to write it all down and things lapse or creep up on me. Its a little discouraging but I find that every time I get a little better at writing it down, I get a little less stressed and that's the goal.  So keep trying is all I can say or advise.

Luther

Thanks, I'll try to keep going, though it's the cross work/life management that is hard.

• KerryH wrote:

Looking back over my work life there is much I regret.

Wow, quite the story and glad your son is doing well.

I completely agree. This wasn't as much about life, though certainly I think your view is the one more people need.

Now, how do I track all the non-work stuff in life? that's the challenge for me.

• I've liked GTD (Getting Things Done) and in an effort to share it found that ZTD is also a good system.

• latkinson wrote:

I'm trying to learn to do better at writing things down in a planner. But then I get too busy to write it all down and things lapse or creep up on me. Its a little discouraging but I find that every time I get a little better at writing it down, I get a little less stressed and that's the goal.  So keep trying is all I can say or advise.

Luther

Luther, I still do the same even after retirement 13 years ago.  My constant companion is a legal pad holder in which I keep my to-do list, my errand and shopping list, and incoming items that need attention.  For instance, being in the area of serious winter weather, I have had a list of nearly two pages of tasks that needed to be done.  I have outdoor furniture stored and equipment serviced and  stored, one of our vehicles is winterized with the second to be done this week.  Before we leave the house my wife and I remind each other verbally and write down stops that need to be made and organize our route efficiently around town.   On my phone I keep an ongoing list of items needed around the house for up-coming tasks so I don't overlook things when doing errands.

Being a data freak, my list also keeps track of computer tasks and ideas I need or want to accomplish and I can check them off as done which provides the sense of accomplishment.  I use an old note spindle with 3x5 notes next to the conputer also for recording temporary info as I work.  This time of year also requires setting up computer reminders of the schedule of trash pickup mornings, recycle bin days, and scheduling of ongoing payment of insurance premiums and recurring billings.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply