Life Logging

• I think what you really need are some good software agents, maybe even AI based, that can help tag things based on context, time, location, etc. Adding in all the tags is a pain, even for photos for me. However if I could easily have some agent that would examine some of the main words repeated, titles, etc. and draw some inferences, that would immensely help. Or even look at what else I was doing at the same time (web sites, etc.) and give me some options, that would make it easier.

• crazy thought - geolocation tagging via GPS?

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (1/27/2010)

crazy thought - geolocation tagging via GPS?

Ok if the recording is taking place as it occurs.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Geolocation is a start here in automatically gathering meta data. There are even some software systems that can determine the location from the image. Add in grabbing faces, date/time, etc. and you're getting closer.

I started a dialog with a researcher in this area, and I finally started reading Total Recall. It's interesting, and the authors definitely recognize many of the privacy and security issues.

• 5 years on and the technology to implement this has arrived, to some degree, and early variants of collective storage are here too.

My opinion hasn't changed though. Too much data will provide little of use to historians and belief in this data allows for corruption (not the data kind) for the purpose of abuse.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• I think it is useful to know where people are at what time when at work. I don't have a problem with that kind of monitoring of my movements.

Outside of work in personal things I could see that you might want to switch tracking on in certain circumatances eg Journalists in dodgy areas females who have recently split up with partners who are behaving erratically.

Whatever you do though you are going to need heavy filtering tools.

And it is open to abuse. Partners can also use this stuff to monitor their partners in inappropriate ways.

Regards important work stuff I generally put it down in my blog.

• Apropos the title I note there is now a puntastic sitcom called 'Scrotal Recall'. Based on STI transmission or somesuch, not that I'd watch such a thing. I wonder if MS might publish a work based on that title, perhaps based on memories of Windows 8?

• call.copse (10/1/2014)

Apropos the title I note there is now a puntastic sitcom called 'Scrotal Recall'. Based on STI transmission or somesuch, not that I'd watch such a thing. I wonder if MS might publish a work based on that title, perhaps based on memories of Windows 8?

My emphasis. We believe you. πŸ˜‰

I am not convinced that Windows 8 was/is such a bad OS.

What I think that MS didn't understand was the large number (majority?) of people who wouldn't have touch screens (unforeseeable in most commercial circles) and wouldn't be using Apps. Most office use is applications and websites (intranet or Internet is irrelevant).

Windows Millennium remains the only Windows OS I have skipped since 3.0 and so far I haven't regretted any move. Maybe it is because I have been prepared to find the workarounds before I being forced to do so by a client. It certainly hasn't been because they were perfect.

I would be interested to see a log (in some form) of where the engineers who developed each Windows OS release worked over time. Not at an individual level but in a way that you can see mass shifts to other companies or moving on to the next Windows version development etc.

Gaz

• This is an interesting idea in general. My mind goes immediately to my kids.

As I get older and my kids grow up and go out into the world, I find myself missing the day-to-day times with them. The mundane, day-to-day things - washing dishes together, helping them clean their room, putting them to bed - stuff that doesn't get included in books or movies, are some of the things that I wish I could recall. I remember talking to a guy that took to videoing some of those things on purpose. He caught on video his daughter's recital AND practicing the piano (as painful as it was). He said he wanted to capture her as she was and not just the event. That really struck me.

With the technology today - cell phones with decent cameras, getting that video stealthily is much easier to do. The result is the subject is much more natural.

• Craigmeister (10/1/2014)

This is an interesting idea in general. My mind goes immediately to my kids.

As I get older and my kids grow up and go out into the world, I find myself missing the day-to-day times with them. The mundane, day-to-day things - washing dishes together, helping them clean their room, putting them to bed - stuff that doesn't get included in books or movies, are some of the things that I wish I could recall. I remember talking to a guy that took to videoing some of those things on purpose. He caught on video his daughter's recital AND practicing the piano (as painful as it was). He said he wanted to capture her as she was and not just the event. That really struck me.

With the technology today - cell phones with decent cameras, getting that video stealthily is much easier to do. The result is the subject is much more natural.

I hear that it is the loss of the mundane memories that some people with medical memory issues say hurts the most. Perhaps it is because that it is these that have no prompting evidence.

I certainly can see why to any reasonable person it seems a reasonable solution to many problems, however, I cannot get past the sheer fact of the large number of unreasonable people: murderers, thieves, abusers, stalkers, blackmailers, voyeurs, cheaters, etc. Some of these terms have been deliberately left abstract or nonspecific due to the multiple applications they could be used for.

Gaz

• A couple of thoughts:

I'd like just the AI to handle the 10-20,000 photos I take a year. Right now I use quite a hodgepodge.

When my Mom had early onset dementia the people who spent time with her were much more important than the memories.

• Maybe it’s a good idea for programmers or DBAs. What if you could have all the code you'd ever written?

Who knows, maybe your employer is already recording your every keystroke and video recording your every movement at work. We also have Google bookmarking all your website page views and the NSA archiving all your phone conversations and email for posterity.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Interesting idea, thanks for the post.

I think human memory plus a written journal of some kind could handle a lot of the "non-quant" parts of life.

And about the quant stuff, that could quickly get overwhelming except perhaps if a brief snapshot is taken, after which the equivalent of KPIs only would be tracked to focus on the important quantitative data in your life. (Money, time management, etc.)

Otherwise it seems like overkill.

Just my two cents.

- webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• webrunner (10/1/2014)

Interesting idea, thanks for the post.

I think human memory plus a written journal of some kind could handle a lot of the "non-quant" parts of life.

And about the quant stuff, that could quickly get overwhelming except perhaps if a brief snapshot is taken, after which the equivalent of KPIs only would be tracked to focus on the important quantitative data in your life. (Money, time management, etc.)

Otherwise it seems like overkill.

Just my two cents.

- webrunner

Using big data analysis and KPIs to measure my life? By the time a practical way of doing this is invented, I'll be ready to retire to a lodge out in the country and won't give a damn anymore. Not that I care too much in the present either. πŸ˜‰

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• It's just not practical. I certainly don't want to live my life twice while I decide what to save/record from my recent living experiences. I save now what I want. That's enough.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply