Life Logging

• jcrawf02 (12/8/2009)

bwillsie-842793 (12/8/2009)

2. depends what's being looked at. Breakfast cereal is probably not that vital, yes, silly example. But having the data there on everything means the doc could look at what they want, not limited to your cream of wheat. (dude, try Fruity Pebbles)

yes, my post lives in an ideal world, but if the data is not provided to them, they have zero chance of finding it.

Actually I think I ate everything but cream of wheat couldn't stand the thought of it after watching my father eat it every day. Not a fan of Fruity Pebbles, but definitely prefer them to a lot of other things.

Perhaps my viewpoint is grounded too much in the real world. I see far to many people that are provided data and the tools to turn it into valuable information, but they just don't use it/them for numerous reasons.

My personal cost benefit analysis says the combined cost and risks associated with a "Life log" far outweigh the potential benefits.

• TMI

• I'm not sure this isn't possible. While the brain works great, why do we keep photos around? Why do we write things down and save them? We can't remember things, and if we had better search and correlation software (we don't), maybe it would be helpful. I certainly would love to type in search terms of things I've worked on and have relevant items come back, especially if they included metadata I'd added.

We used to think that a TB of data was a lot to slog through. It's trivial now when there's a well written application. There could be more here that would help if the software could be trained and make good decisions. I'm not sure that most of my life is worth recording, but more and more I find places where I wish I'd recorded a bit more about what I did at work, or more often, something I'm doing with kids.

• I think the idea of logging thru life has some merits. Pehaps one could extrapolate that some common food additive is a major contributor of cancer or obesity, etc. by data mining the eating habits of those participating in food logging. I would think you would want a lot of data in order to find anomalies and similarities. For example, if 90% of women who had children with a certain disability had been taking xyz medication during pregnancy, I think that would be something very useful to know.

Certainly I can also see some application in the world of programming. When I used to write code, there were many times I would be given some complex task that I had done 6 months or a year prior that I could not remember how I solved, and if I could have just done a keyword search thru my logs, I could have found the solution very rapidly as opposed to having to spend hours solving the problem all over again. But with agreements we sign at work, all solutions coded at work are the property of the company, unless it is in your head. In other words, you wouldn't be able to take that code log with you if you left the company.

• There are at least two things wrong with this.

1. Big brother, 1984, whatever you want to call it.

2. At the risk of offending someone... I think the idea that someone feels the need to document every piece of minutiae of their lives is a sign of mental illness. One's life is not that important. Document the big events, sure, but not the everyday occurrences. I don't want anyone to know that I used the toilet three times today, once included a nice stool release. I think I can relate that to a doctor if such need arises.

I doubt it has any use at work. My work style is such that I would record several iterations of a project before the real steps would be revealed. Who would want to slog through that? And, if they followed something I was doing early on, they might be misled.

• It's not that you document and slog through everything. But you don't often know or realize what's important when it happens. How often have you had something occur and wished you had a camera handy? No one can go back through their life; it would require a whole nother lifetime!

The idea is that there are software components that can help go through the data and help determine what's relevant and needed when you look for it. I would assume as well that you could easily whack things that aren't needed or you know aren't interesting.

This wouldn't be public stuff, so I'm not sure big brother applies. If you could record all your code efforts or personal experiences, it would be private. There are huge security concerns, but if you are thinking this is some central monitoring, you've missed the idea.

The idea at work is that it would help you re-examine your iterations, and maybe help you determine if you're wasting time, or save the efforts to use later in a similar project.

• Stephen Wolfram (inventor of WolframAlpha among many other things) already does 'life logging' - here's a quote from a revent interview with him:

"I'm an information pack rat," he confesses. Recording our interview is just the tip of his peculiar obsession with documenting every moment of his life. "I have a keystroke logger that has collected my every keystroke for the last 22 years," he says. "Every day I get an email that tells me how many keystrokes I typed the previous day into each application. I find it slightly interesting." He shrugs off my suggestion that it's a way of securing his immortality; he believes that soon everyone will be doing it.

the rest of the interview is at: http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20427381.100-stephen-wolfram-im-an-information-pack-rat.html?full=true%5B/url%5D

🙂

• I already have this partially implemented: In one way, barring storage limit issues, with full text search the ability to sort by many measures, I don't understand why people don't simply archive all email (excepting unsolicited advertising) - it's cheap and it logs many things. I really don't understand organizations that require email purging as a policy. Communication culture in organizations may vary, but I find email really is the best standing record of what I've done and the state of work discussions/emerging designs and solutions over time.

Speaking to the troubleshooting element, there is something that SQL Management Studio (or Query Analyzer) could pick up from the old FoxPro IDE: Command window history.

It was helpful when I was first learning sql to be able to see how my queries evolved; if I went down a wrong path, I could click in the history to branch from a previous pre-query without reconstructing it. I think FoxPro even kept it from session to session (limited by a buffer) within the same project, though I could be wrong.

• The part that I think would be scary is...

A Government Suit shows up at a medical meeting between you and your doctor and says, "Well, let's see. You watched 4 football games, played 6 hours on your computer, had fast food twice last weekend, and did not have any continuous exercise during the last 2 weeks. Seems to me that you are in violation of the new Health Reform Bill that just past. Sorry - the surgery and treatment that you need is disapproved. Please make sure you will is in order so we can get our percentage immediately without having put your family through the burden of lengthly court proceedings."

I know this is a stretch... but with data comes power!

I am in full agreement with GSquared that "Brain 10,000 BC" is the way to go!

Joe

• Government suits are not going to suddenly become more efficient because more data is out there. They currently (going by Medicare standards) process claims blindly through an automated system, and any retro-review takes place two years or more later, when an actual human is overseeing issues.

So, understand the concern, but not very likely.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (12/11/2009)

Government suits are not going to suddenly become more efficient because more data is out there. They currently (going by Medicare standards) process claims blindly through an automated system, and any retro-review takes place two years or more later, when an actual human is overseeing issues.

So, understand the concern, but not very likely.

To quote the whole financial services industry: "Past performance is not a guarantee or a reliable indicator of future results."

Just because the current incarnation of the US Federal government may not be particularly skilled at automating their data mining, doesn't mean they won't become so.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• You're just making that argument because you have a bigger brain than I do 😛

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Let's assume this becomes the standard way of living in 'developed' countries.

There is no way your life log could not be hacked, either by government or by criminals. Suddenly you have done (or not done) something important that makes you liable to prosecution or blackmail. Or you accuse someone powerful of a mis-deed you saw happen and it gets removed from the life logs of those involved.

Like all surveillance, no matter what the original intentions a life log can only end up as a tool to help set up the new feudalism.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• Similar topic - http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/GadgetGuide/baby-number-parents-obsession-data/story?id=9334914&page=1%5B/url%5D

• Ok, let's say you decide you want to do this. How would you record all that information and properly tag it with dates, topic, location, other people it relates to, etc, to make it easier to retrieve information.

I recently had a discussion with a former co-worker who wanted to do something similar. He expressed how he was disappointed that, with all the software on his computer, he did not have a good tool for doing this. He was actually thinking about developing his own application with a SQL backend. Is that what it would take?

Comments?

Edit:

I forgot to mention that he was only interested in storing written information.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply