Licensing Policy :w00t:

• My organization has one Procurement department which takes care of licenses for ALL kinds of IT Services / Products. Nobody except Procurement Department knows about Licensing Terms with Vendors.

When any customer put up Business Requirements Architects propose solutions. I strongly believe their solutions are not Cost Effective because they are absolutely unaware of cost aspect of the solution. It might be a very good solution but not Cost Effective. The end result is either losing Customer Leads or fooling the customers. (Fooling is right word because we could serve them better with economic solutions.)

I don’t want to fool my customers. I keep reading Licensing Articles but it’s not sufficient. Is there any way to learn it?

Also, is it a common practice what my company is following i.e. hiding / encapsulating financial aspects from Technical Team? Would you please suggest me any argument that I can put in front of my COO / CEO?

• In my opinion, an effective solution considers the requirements, timeline and budget. Simple as that. The solution architect needs to know the price of every option and the customers budget, and if the budget is not enough, then strong negotiations with the customer ensue to educate them that those requirements are not fully possible with their current budget, and then propose something affordable which they will agree to.

It's pretty simple. Budget is a core piece of the requirements and should be treated as such.

Jim Murphy
    http://www.sqlwatchmen.com
    @SQLMurph

• Thanks Jim. πŸ™‚

No other thoughts???

• Dev (11/22/2011)

Thanks Jim. πŸ™‚

No other thoughts???

Nope. Said it all.

Jim Murphy
    http://www.sqlwatchmen.com
    @SQLMurph

• Jim Murphy (11/22/2011)

Dev (11/22/2011)

Thanks Jim. πŸ™‚

No other thoughts???

Nope. Said it all.

Very Funny Jim. Second line was for other SSC friends πŸ˜›

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply