licensing mode and dual core

• How does someone set the licensing mode for Processor licensing when installing on a machine with a dual core processor.

I know you only need to purchase a license for one processor but how do you configure SQL Server for one processor or two and does the licensing mode affect the operation of SQL Server?

Is this in any MS document that anyone knows of?

Thank in advance for any advice.

Bill

• there's lots of links on microsoft on this;

licensing is per physical processor, not per virtual processor/core .

If the motherboard has a single socket in it, (if you could afford it) you could have a processor with 16 virtual cores in it, and it still counts as only one processor.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks for the answer but that was not the question.

Here is what I needed to know, but how do you configure SQL Server for one processor or two and does the licensing mode affect the operation of SQL Server?

• oops sorry i skimmed over that part.

SQL server will automatically use all availalble processors. if you had a 4 proc, but licensing for only two, you'd be out of compliance with the licensing. nothing happens as far as preventing code execution or anything like that; you are simply out of compliance with your license(s)

to force SQL server to only use two out of four processors for example, go to enterprise manager: find the server and click properties.

the dialog box that opens has a tab for "Processors"

inside that tab, there  is a list where you can check and uncheck the specific CPU's you are using/want to not use.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Lowell (9/10/2007)

to force SQL server to only use two out of four processors for example, go to enterprise manager: find the server and click properties.

the dialog box that opens has a tab for "Processors"

inside that tab, there is a list where you can check and uncheck the specific CPU's you are using/want to not use.

This is fine Lowell, but after doing this and even rebooting the server, SQL 2005 still shows that it is using 2 processors under the General Tab.

Is there any way to change the number of processors showing on the General Tab, so I can state that I am only using one core of a dual core processor?

Dell has advised me to go into the BIOS and actually 'turn off' the second core. But I still don't know if that will force SQL to change the number of cores as "the number of processors". My licensing issue could get expensive if a vendor counts 'cores' as 'processors'.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply