Licensing Issue

• Here is the situation.  I have several SQL Server 2000 servers and few Active/Passive clusters.  I am trying to sync up our Licenses.  I discovered that 2 of our Active/Passive clusters show the license mode to be per seat with 4 devices listed (according to Licensing Setup in control panel).  They are actual 4 CPU servers. I know we had at least a 100 simultaneous connections. Also we use select version of the install media.

Here are the Questions.

1. Has anyone run across any known issue with licensing and clusters?

2. What effect can this have on client connections?

3. When I try to change the licensing mode the per processor radio button is grayed out.  Is that right?

4. How can I change the Licensing mode with out reinstalling?  (This is a production cluster).

• 1. No issues with our clusters, but we've been using per process licensing since installation.

2. I don't think it will affect them at all.

3. I looked at several of our servers and saw the same thing.

Here's a quote from BooksOnLine:

Once a licensing mode is set, you cannot change modes. You can add device or processor licenses after installing SQL Server, using the SQL Server 2000 Licensing Setup utility in Control Panel. (Do not confuse this licensing utility with the Windows Licensing utility, also found in Control Panel.)

4. Search SQL Server Central for 'License mode'.  I found a couple of threads that referred to a registry hack to accomplish this.

Greg

Greg

• Yes, SQL Server lincensing (in 2000 anyway) is definitely on the "honour system".  I think it probably has to be as it would almost be "unfair" for SQL to deny connections to poorly written apps that open and leave open 10-20 connections each.  A 5 user system could easily have 50-100 connections.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply