License question on the bundled Visual Studio Premier Partner Edition.

• SQL 2005 includes a free scaled down version of Visual Studio 2005 - the Premier Partner Edition. Are there any limitations on how many users may install this to do SQL development work in an organization?

• That isn't actually a full blown version of Visual Studio, and the only thing it can do is develop SSIS, SSRS, and SSAS solutions, it can't develop code in C#, VB, or C++. This is why it is known as the Business Intellegence Development Studio or BIDS. You can install it just like you can install any of the client tools on end user workstations to connect to SQL Server.

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
    My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
    Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
    Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs[/url]

• Jonathan Kehayias (8/17/2010)

...You can install it just like you can install any of the client tools on end user workstations to connect to SQL Server.

... meaning you need only to comply with your SQL Server Licensing (Server + CAL or Per CPU), so as long as you fine with SQL licensing you can install that on any workstation

• Thank you Jonathan. That clears it up for me.

Mike

• Do you have some documentation about license of Visual Studio Premier Partner Edition.

We need to show that the Visual Studio PPE came with SQL Server 2005 and has no independent licensing.

The page "http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/bb129447%28v=vs.80%29.aspx" says:

"The Premier Partner Edition (PPE) is a collection of redistributable components that are referred to collectively as the Visual Studio PPE, or just PPE. Although not a shippable version of Visual Studio, PPE contains the required components that let you add your application in the Visual Studio IDE."

I presumed is sufficient to prove that, but...

The incredible situation, is that I have to show it to Microsoft Brazil, which claims that the VS PPE is not distributed with the MSQL Server 2005!!

Thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply