Level 1: The Basic SELECT Statement

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Level 1: The Basic SELECT Statement

Gregory A. Larsen, MVP

• Excellent article. I think these stairway articles are a great idea. I know will always benefit from reviewing and learning about the basics. There is ton of features in SQL that make it useful but a solid foundation in the basics is more beneficial than knowing all of the advanced stuff

• As usual a stellar entry -- this stairway concept is invaluable.

A minor usability complaint... any way to make the code sample windows larger? Maybe it's my browser but they barely display the first word of each line.

Thanks in any case for these series -- this one in particular will be useful in filling gaps in my understanding, and may well get some of my SQL-phobic coworkers into the water.

• Thanks for putting this together.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Great article! A minor typo (I think): Exercise #1 refers to "Human.Resources.Employee table". I think it should be "HumanResources.Employee table". What do you think?

Also I think the Level 3 link should be named "Implementing a Relational Model in SQL Server".

Cheers!

Paul DB

• Hello, I started working on this staircase and noticed the AdventureWorks database was used during the exercises. Which version of adventure works can I get this instance from? i have tried versions 2008,2012, and 2016 and i haven't found exactly the same instance.

Thanks

• imaaronacs - Wednesday, February 6, 2019 7:42 PM

Hello, I started working on this staircase and noticed the AdventureWorks database was used during the exercises. Which version of adventure works can I get this instance from? i have tried versions 2008,2012, and 2016 and i haven't found exactly the same instance.

Thanks

It says which version and even where to get it right in the article.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Yes it does, but the SQL Server 2005 version no longer exists.    You could probably change the code to support one of those other versions.

Gregory A. Larsen, MVP

• Good lord.  I clicked on the link and it took me to codeplex, which says that it "is still available" if you click on a certain link which takes you to an archive search which returns nothing, just like you said.

That's a part of the reason why I always manufacture test data for my articles.  I've seen things like this happen way too often with even 2nd party data samples.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I was a bit curious as to why an 8 year old thread has suddenly become active so had a quick look at my installation of AdventureWorks2014 database, it contains the same schema and tales as used in the article, the provided sample code ran (on the whole) without modification; the only difference that I can see is the reference to EmployeeId and ContactId (within the article) which I believe is now called BusinessEntityId.
    I have not verified against any other version of AdventureWorks HTH.

• Couldn't find any instances of Adventure Works 2005 anywhere, tried this website: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=10679
    and
    https://archive.codeplex.com/?p=MSFTDBProdSamples

could any one point me in the direction of the download?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply