Let the Excel Play

• Hey don't get me wrong, I respect you and it was out of that respect only :)))))))))))))))))))))

• Jeff Moden (10/5/2008)

"If you limit what they can read to simple views, you also keep control of the queries so they don't crush the server performance wise."

- and -

"You can either spend time writing custom automations for all 50 users, or you can teach them to become self sufficient.

"

I fully and whole-heartedly believe in the principle, "Teach them correct principles and they govern themselves." Seeing your point to a point, but then it has not stopped the problems of needing to dubunk what they do with the data.

In so many words or less you are actually taking TWO steps:

1. Teaching

2. Creating controlled sources of output they can use to effectively limit what they may want to do to munge the data.

Herein lies the the delta: Judging how much time to spend creating the various views and rights to view, and dealing with how they rollup, pivot, and analyze the data.

When the numbers do not match, it is back in your lap anyway. Notice I did not use "If". And remember, I noted that I have these issues more with those who feel they know Excel... not the new learners... the new ones do not usually know enough to even get themselves into trouble. The problem lies in the fact that both the Views they need, and the report crunching layout needs to be handled.

So when a report becomes adopted between more than a couple people, I mold it on report server, so that all they have to do is copy it down (if they must) with little or no munging. If the analytical mistakes of others did not come to haunt me so, then I would be more apt to just teach... heh... would even prefer to just teach.

• sashank, thanks for this article. For me it came at just the right time. I have one problem though. When I try to open the connection string "con.Open connstr" I get the following error. Run-time error: '3001' Application-defined or object-defined error. Any ideas? I checked the references in vba but all looks fine. Please help!!

Further to the comments in this post. Get external data is ok but I want to with VB place my data and make it look like a real report and the client wants it in Excel. So, I think this is a cool way to do it.

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

• Plz send me the code to analyze

• Also make sure that MDAC components are installed on the machine

• shashank, thanks for the reply and sorry for only comming back to you now. MDAC is installed on my computer and I did come right thank you. I had the provider wrong in my connection string and when I fixed it, it worked thanks to Adrian Jardin (a fellow South African) that helped me. Thanks Adrian!

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply