Lengthy query response times

• I'm dealing with a strange problem that started today. A simple query that will return 5 rows from a table with about 61,000 total rows takes over 20 seconds to complete. At other times, the query will take less than one second. Queries to every other table in this same database respond in less than one second. I understand that there are variations in the # of records and complexity of the tables, but it's just this one table that I'm having trouble with, and not all of the time.

This is on my development/test environment so I'm the only user accessing SQL, so it's not a network/data traffic issue.

Any ideas on what I can do to diagnose and correct this problem? My fear is that if this is happening in my development environment it could also happen in the production environment which would not be good.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• I suggest that you collect the execution plans for the slow and fast versions and compare them. The comparison should provide clues about what's going on and how to fix it.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• also have a look at using sp_updatestats

if your stats are out of date then you will have bad plans... but with only 61 thousand records i'm not banking on the fact that i'm correct

the only thing i can suggest is ... is it a stored proc? could it be parameter sniffing?

MVDBA

• Could it be blocking?  I know you said you're the only one doing anything, but could there be background processes or jobs that hold locks on the table you're querying?

John

• Thanks for all of the replies.

At the present time, there is no latency on the Query and everything's running fine. I'll check the execution plan the next time I see it (if I see it).

This is not a stored procedure, so no parameter issues.

It's a single-user situation so I don't think there were any locks in place for the table. It would only be accessed by my SQL client query window.

Anyway, I'll post again if it happens and the execution plan does not tell me anything.

• if it's that small a recordset and you aren't using procs, then i'm guessing it's an access client? - if it is then I think I might know the issue

MVDBA

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply