Length of LOB data exceeds maximum 65536

• I'm replicating from a SQL 2005 DB to another server running SQL 2000. We were replicating from 2000 to 2000 without problem. Now, when the users enter data, sometimes they get this error.

Length of LOB data (78862) to be replicated exceeds configured maximum 65536

I found reference to the configuration setting max text repl size (B) and it is set to 65536, but that's the same value in 2000 and I never had a problem. Should I just increase the value ??  I'm hesitant to do it without a better understanding.

TIA

• yes. you can simply use:

sp_configure 'max text repl size', 2147483647

* Noel

• Clarification: We WERE getting the errors in SQL2000 as well, I just hadn't heard about them because of all the other problems we were having with other things.

Are there any implications to choosing a high number ?

• the implication is that more buffer space is needed to cover for the large values. If you are not short in memory this should not be an issue.

I have this setting on one of my servers and although the activity is not as high as on my big machines I have had no problems with this setting. Most of the time I have been worried about some other "user" failures

Cheers,

* Noel

• Thanks for the help !  

• I am getting the same error while trying to insert data into the varbinary(max) column in my production environment. But I am getting any error in our dev and test machines, though it is not configured for the maximum 2gb value. The thing is this is happening during insert query, not in transactional replication (msdn says the setting is applicable only for transactional replication). Any ideas will be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Syed

• hi

• Hi,

Length of LOB data (72174) to be replicated exceeds configured maximum 65536.

This error when it will replicate I am unable to replicate. Client getting this error. On what case this error will through

Plz can you reply as early as possible

• I get the following message:

Ad hoc update to system catalogs is not supported.:w00t:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply