Left Outer Join Calculation

• I know, you're probably rolling your eyes at this question, but despite Googling this to death I'm still stumped so please bear with me.

My issue is that I'm trying to calculate a sum for matching records from the right table which meet certain conditions. If there are no matching records on the right, or the matching records on the right don't meet the specified conditions, I still want the records from the left table displayed with a Null value in the calculated column.

Breaking down the two selections, the select from the left table would be as follows, yielding 1,212 records:

SELECT MSTBALP.CLIENT, MSTBALP.MACTNM, MSTBALP.CLTNUM

FROM MSTBALP

WHERE MSTBALP.CLIENT = 'BME'

ORDER BY MSTBALP.CLIENT, MSTBALP.CLTNUM

The selection on the right table would give me 227 records:

SELECT BILPRCP.CLIENT, BILPRCP.MACTNM, SUM(BILPRCP.PBFEE) AS INSBAL

FROM BILPRCP

WHERE BILPRCP.CLIENT = 'BME' AND BILPRCP.PBINS <> 5 AND BILPRCP.CHKDAY = 0 AND BILPRCP.ADJAMT = 0

GROUP BY BILPRCP.CLIENT, BILPRCP.MACTNM

ORDER BY BILPRCP.CLIENT, BILPRCP.MACTNM

Yet trying to invoke the left out join to achieve the results I want still gives me only the 227 records because of the where criteria on the right table.

SELECT MSTBALP.CLIENT, MSTBALP.MACTNM, MSTBALP.CLTNUM, SUM(BILPRCP.PBFEE) AS INSBAL

FROM MSTBALP

LEFT OUTER JOIN BILPRCP

ON MSTBALP.CLIENT = BILPRCP.CLIENT AND MSTBALP.MACTNM = BILPRCP.MACTNM

WHERE MSTBALP.CLIENT = 'BME' AND BILPRCP.PBINS <> 5 AND BILPRCP.CHKDAY = 0 AND BILPRCP.ADJAMT = 0

GROUP BY MSTBALP.CLIENT, MSTBALP.CLTNUM, MSTBALP.MACTNM

ORDER BY MSTBALP.CLIENT, MSTBALP.CLTNUM

Any help on pounding the correct method for this into my thick skull would be greatly appreciated.

• I believe moving the filters on BILPRCP from the WHERE clause to the ON clause will return the results you are expecting. Like this:

SELECT

MSTBALP.CLIENT,

MSTBALP.MACTNM,

MSTBALP.CLTNUM,

SUM(BILPRCP.PBFEE) AS INSBAL

FROM

MSTBALP LEFT OUTER JOIN

BILPRCP

ON MSTBALP.CLIENT = BILPRCP.CLIENT AND

MSTBALP.MACTNM = BILPRCP.MACTNM AND

BILPRCP.PBINS <> 5 AND

BILPRCP.CHKDAY = 0 AND

BILPRCP.ADJAMT = 0

WHERE

MSTBALP.CLIENT = 'BME'

GROUP BY

MSTBALP.CLIENT,

MSTBALP.CLTNUM,

MSTBALP.MACTNM

ORDER BY

MSTBALP.CLIENT,

MSTBALP.CLTNUM

If that doesn't work convert your query of BILPRCP to a CTE or derived table and LEFT JOIN to it.

• Thanks, Jack. That worked beautifully. I get it now. I had seen examples of moving the select criteria to the "On" statement but is amazing how much it is easier to understand when you see it applied to your own situation. You've made my day.

• No problem. Glad I could help. It really makes sense if you look into how SQL Server processes queries. Search for Logical Query Processing.

• Thanks for the advice; I'll look into that. As you can probably tell, I'm pretty new at this stuff, learning as I go. I'm sure that studying the area suggested will help me out a lot.

• It may be probably worth to mention that having the right table conditions in the WHERE clause made the left join effectively an INNER join, because the conditions filtered out the null values for nonmatched rows.

Regards

Piotr

...and your only reply is slàinte mhath

• Thanks, piotr. Once Jack showed me the errors of my ways it made perfect sense how my results were as they were, exactly as you outlined. That was an important lesson for me today.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply