Learning Oracle

• WayneS (10/14/2010)

If you look at these two posts, especially the signature, and that these are the only posts ever from this poster, they feel more like spam for their kitchen cabinets.

harrifolfenced (10/13/2010)

what are advantages of oracle over sql

harrifolfenced (10/13/2010)

thanks for above links i also solved my stored procedure code

LOL - I reported this already. But you know what, in this case it produced some pretty decent discussion.

How about that. Even the spam on this site is helpful.

Random Technical Stuff[/url]

• PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (10/13/2010)

Eric Russell 13013 (10/13/2010)

On the other hand, SQL Server is newer ...

Always remember SQL Server carries Sybase genes; don't look at SQL Server 4.0 as SQL Server date of birth 😉

You're correct, but at least SQL Server will prune the dead branches from it's family tree from time to time. Microsoft has always been much more adaptable than it's competitors, even if a large percentage of their customers were drug along kicking and screaming, but in the end they've proven to be wise risk takers.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• nick.mcdermaid (10/14/2010)

Here are my thoughts after going from many years SQL Server to an extended project in Oracle:

I certainly found a lot of things in Oracle quite 'alien' to me and was initially very resistant and cynical.(particularly having to use a third party tool to develop - TOAD which I think has a user interface like a car accident).

The poster who mentioned that Oracle has loads of baggage is really on the money. MS can now sit back and emulate all the good parts of Oracle without having to take on the baggage!

In summary, you'd be well served to jump the hurdle and get some experience to make an informed judgement about the two different platforms.

PS at a current client we indeed have what seems to be a political decision to move from Oracle to SQL Server.

I use the SQL Developer tool provided by Oracle, and for day to day development, it's good enough, however TOAD obviously has more functionality and better DBA and performace monitoring features. I developed entirely in SQL Server for several years and for the past two years or so have been splitting my time between several smaller sized SQL Server projects and a large Oracle 11g data warehouse. When it comes to just writing SQL queries, the two platforms are very similar, and a developer new to Oracle may at first be overwhelmed by all the thick books and tend to overestimate the number differences. However, it's also easy to underestimate how frustrating those minor differences can be when you find yourself in a jam. I can recall early on how I would be sitting with my laptop in a project status meeting, answering questions about the data model and performing ad-hoc query requests. My screen would be displayed on a projector, and I'd be fumbling with the syntax of a fairly complicated Oracle SQL statement while management and business analysts patiently sat by watching. Fortunately those awkward first few months are behind me, and I'm now about equally proficient with both SQL Server and Oracle, at least in terms of SQL. Now in terms of PL/SQL vs T-SQL, database administration and architecture, there are more significant differences between SQL Server and Oracle and a more significant learning curve.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• nick.mcdermaid (10/14/2010)

I'm impressed with Oracle packages as they almost seem like classes to me

-Variables which 'reflect' existing table meta data

-Custom data types

-Multiple 'methods' within the package all returning different types

...and you are absolutely correct.

Are you old enough to remember Ada - the programming language? packages come from there.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (10/15/2010)

nick.mcdermaid (10/14/2010)

-Custom data types

Are you old enough to remember Ada - the programming language? packages come from there.

I remember ADA, took a couple of courses that used it in college? I may still have the books some where at home.

Does the language still live or has it gone the way of the dinosaur?

• Lynn Pettis (10/15/2010)

PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (10/15/2010)

-Custom data types

I remember ADA, took a couple of courses that used it in college? I may still have the books some where at home.

That's a very good question indeed 😀

Just checked Monter and guess what? There are job opennings mentioning Ada skills/experience as requisites - go figure 🙂

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Lynn Pettis (10/15/2010)

-Custom data types

You guys are aging yourselves... I'm kinda old, and the only thing I remember about this is hearing about it! :w00t:

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (10/16/2010)

Lynn Pettis (10/15/2010)

-Custom data types

You guys are aging yourselves... I'm kinda old, and the only thing I remember about this is hearing about it! :w00t:

Okay, how old do you think I am?

• I've read about ADA but no I've never used it. C++ was the language of choice when I was at uni (engineering not computer science though)

You know its very interesting that:

1. Packages are based on a proper programming language - I knew there was something to it!

2. That it based on such a 'fundamental' (polite word for old!!!!) programming language. Again it highlights that Oracle has old roots. Which can be a good thing and a bad thing!

N

• WayneS (10/16/2010)

Lynn Pettis (10/15/2010)

-Custom data types

Nah... you are not "old" Wayne, I'm sure you are an "experienced" professional 😉

In my case I'm "experienced" enough to still remember Ada but not "experienced" enough to have already forgotten all about it 😀

• tutblog1 (9/19/2012)

Want to learn SQL?

Goto

easysqlguide.blogspot.in

Easily learn SQL with the help of images.

Two year old thread, and no, I don't want to learn SQL from your blog. I already know SQL.

• Lynn Pettis (9/19/2012)

tutblog1 (9/19/2012)

Want to learn SQL?

Goto

easysqlguide.blogspot.in

Two year old thread, and no, I don't want to learn SQL from your blog. I already know SQL.

So, after two years, how what's your overall impression of Oracle versus SQL Server?

• Eric M Russell (9/19/2012)

Lynn Pettis (9/19/2012)

tutblog1 (9/19/2012)

Want to learn SQL?

Goto

easysqlguide.blogspot.in

So, after two years, how what's your overall impression of Oracle versus SQL Server?

Only worked with Oracle for a year. I am GLAD to be back working with SQL Server. There are a few things that I liked about Oracle, but I really think SQL Server does more things in a better way. Could be 15+ years of using SQL Server talking there.

• In Oracle, client tools are painful. You need to buy TOAD for a GUI, and has some good features (CTRL-Clkick to get table info) but it's basically a dogs breakfast.

Back end of Oracle is very configurable and tunable (i.e. you can configure page size) and 'open' but also very complicated, and you need to know a lot of stuff to be able to make a simple change. It suffers from having to maintain a lot of backwards compatability.

Lately I have noticed the Oracle introduces new features (i.e. windowing functions). Messes them up a bit, has to wear the pain to get them right. Then when they've settled down, MS learns from their mistakes and get's it mostly right first time, 18 months later. I'm happy with that because the MS product stays a little cleaner.

SQL is also starting to collect backwards compatability baggage now though.

But compare moving a database file in Oracle with moving a database file in SQL. Oracle is incredibly manual and error prone. SQL gives you a GUI and you don't really need to know all about the guts of it to move a database file.

• Lynn Pettis (9/19/2012)

Eric M Russell (9/19/2012)

Lynn Pettis (9/19/2012)

tutblog1 (9/19/2012)

Want to learn SQL?

Goto

easysqlguide.blogspot.in

Only worked with Oracle for a year. I am GLAD to be back working with SQL Server. There are a few things that I liked about Oracle, but I really think SQL Server does more things in a better way. Could be 15+ years of using SQL Server talking there.

In Oracle, an empty string is null ('' IS NULL), and consequently an empty string is not equal to itself. This evaluates as False: ('' = ''). For those of us who speak Oracle SQL as a second language, that can result in some bugs that are very subtle and hard to track down. I can live with proprietary functions and even minor syntax differences between SQL implementations. However, I just can't get past the fact that a major database vendor would have the default definition of NULL not conform to ANSI standard. As far as I know, there is no equivalent to a "SET ANSI_NULL ON" setting etiher.

Another observation is that (this is just my opinion), because Oracle is such a configurable RDMS platform and also contains so much legacy baggage, Oracle developers are not as well rounded on their own platform as SQL Server developers are. They learn how to implement something one way, but there may be 3 or 4 ways of doing it under Oracle. There are also tons of configuration settings, many of which have security implications, that the average Oracle DBA is not aware of. In contrast, SQL Server has a much smaller area of exposure, and for that reason is generally considered more secure out of the box.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply