Learning checklist for a newbie.

• I have little experience in SQL Server. Created few databases in SQL Server 2005 and written simple stored procedures. I want to master this product more from the DBA and Developer point of view.

In what order I should learn the concepts and which links you suggest? The core architecture of SQL Server explain on Microsoft's site is of SQL Server 2000. Probably the core architecture remained the same.

Can someone help me out with the exact order in which to learn and master SQL Server?

"Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete. If you're alive, it isn't. "

Richard Bach

• If you're fairly new, don't worry about 'mastering' the product. Worry about getting the basics down solid.

For dev, try Itzik Ben-Gan's T-SQL Fundamentals. Fantastic book

For admin, try Beginning SQL Server 2008 Administration.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I need to check the availability of those books in India. Does that book on administration include Architecture and other Internals?

Any web resources?

"Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete. If you're alive, it isn't. "

Richard Bach

• No architecture or internals. Later. Basics first, advanced features, architecture and internals later when you have the basics well covered.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Ok, so I see those books on SQL Server 2008. Since 2012 is there, shall I wait for these books to get revised for 2012?

Richard Bach

• You can if you want, but there's not huge, massive changes in SQL 2012. Some stuff's changed, lots of new stuff, but the fundamentals are the same. There's no guarantee when or even if those books will be rewritten for 2012.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply