Learning about DTS

• Hi all,

We use SQL 7.0 and I have a good understanding of DTS but I would love to know where I can learn more. I'm looking for any recommendations of books, etc. to find out how to edit existing jobs and learn about the different features of DTS jobs.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

------------------

Kevin Bachelder

MCSE - NT 4.0

MCP - Windows 2000

CCA

A+

------------------
    Kevin Bachelder

MCSE (NT4), MCP (W2K), CCA, A+

• I think Brian's book is pretty good (from WROX, pro sql server DTS). I've glanced at the New Riders book and it looks ok, but haven't read it.

I'd pick one up and then post some questions here or send some questions to the columnists and we are willing to write articles to answer your questions (at least I am).

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Tim Peterson's book is the most comprehensive book I found. It doesn't have a case study like the Wrox books, and is sometimes a little difficult to find a topic, but it all seems to be in there:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0672320118/qid=1007111922/sr=1-5/ref=sr_sp_re/202-9990157-7007804

Happy reading!

Paul Ibison

Paul.Ibison@btinternet.com

Paul Ibison
    Paul.Ibison@replicationanswers.com

• Thanks very much for the recommendations.

However, both of the books mentioned cover SQL 2000 much more than SQL 7.0. I take it there is nothing good out there on just 7.0?

Kevin

------------------

Kevin Bachelder

MCSE - NT 4.0

MCP - Windows 2000

CCA

A+

------------------
    Kevin Bachelder

MCSE (NT4), MCP (W2K), CCA, A+

• Seems like there was a Wrox book that covered DTS and DMO together for SQL7?

Andy

• That book was horrible for DTS. I'd not recommend you waste your money.

The 2000 books should be ok. They cover additional items in 2000, but I think this is a superset of the SQL 7 DTS items. One hint, always use a password when you save your packages in sql 7.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply