LDAP Authentication - SQL 2017 on Linux

• We have installed SQL Server 2017 on Linux server. I am able to connect SQL Server locally as well remotely but with local user access. 

I have my AD account created and have AD server information. Can you please help me how can I connect using my AD account to SQL Server 2017 on Linux remotely? I heard something about LDAP Authentication. Is it possible to use this concept without adding Linux server to AD domain? Our security team does not allow to add Linux server in Active Directory group.

• Microsoft released a guide on how to do this. A quick Google will find it for you. You can't achieve this without adding the Linux machine to your AD, for obvious reasons; if the machine isn't part of the domain, how can it authenticate an AD user (it can't).

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Friday, January 5, 2018 2:06 AM

Microsoft released a guide on how to do this. A quick Google will find it for you. You can't achieve this without adding the Linux machine to your AD, for obvious reasons; if the machine isn't part of the domain, how can it authenticate an AD user (it can't).

Thanks for the reply. Yes I am aware of that document.

But I heard that with LDAP authentication, it is possible. Linux Server is in domain but not in Active Directory where the AD users are added.

• amitbhatt.sqldba - Friday, January 5, 2018 2:18 AM

Thom A - Friday, January 5, 2018 2:06 AM

Microsoft released a guide on how to do this. A quick Google will find it for you. You can't achieve this without adding the Linux machine to your AD, for obvious reasons; if the machine isn't part of the domain, how can it authenticate an AD user (it can't).

But I heard that with LDAP authentication, it is possible. Linux Server is in domain but not in Active Directory where the AD users are added.

Have you had a look at the link?

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Friday, January 5, 2018 2:30 AM

amitbhatt.sqldba - Friday, January 5, 2018 2:18 AM

Thom A - Friday, January 5, 2018 2:06 AM

Have you had a look at the link?

Yes. I have. 
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/linux/sql-server-linux-active-directory-authentication
    Prerequisite for this is adding Linux server to Active Directory domain.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply