Latch Waits and SQL Server Performance

• Greetings All,

I have an older test server where users are complaining of very poor peformance running a SQL Server based app. I've added RAM, defraged the disks, replaced the NIC card, re-indexed the entire DB to no avail. The event logs don't reveal any problems. The only thing I can find that's indicative of any problem is that SQL Check shows a very high latch wait time for this server which is > 560 after a restart and can go as high as 1000 ms.

I have production servers with many times more users running at higher processor utilization and the latch waits typically are less than half of this value. I haven't been able to find much on the web or BOL regarding latch waits except that it's usually some function of I/O that causes excessive wait times. So, I really don't know what else to check at this point. Or am I maybe barking up the wrong tree looking at the latch waits?

FYI - the server is an older Compaq Proliant 2x200 mHz proc with over 1 G of RAM, Raid 1 (OS, Logs) Raid 5 (Data drives) running Windows NT 4 SP 6a, SQL Server 7.0 SP3. Page file is 1.3 G spread across the 3 logical drives. Any info or thoughts are appreciated.

My hovercraft is full of eels.

• Try performance monitor.

Have a look at Physical disk.....

Disk QUE length.....

Don't forget DIskperf -Y.....

• Any info on this, as I am having similar problems?

Thanks,

Graham

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply