last day of the month parameter in ssrs

• I occasionally need to schedule reports that run for an entire month and automatically email them. A monthly report, of course, must have the correct ending date, either 28, 30, 31 (and don't forget leap year). Since these type reports typically run within the first week of the new month I needed a parameter that would always pull the proper last day of the previous month

After much fighting with the expression builder in ssrs 2005, I finally found a way to do this and I wanted to share it with the community and also get your feedback....Here's the expression

=dateadd("d",-1,CDate(cstr(day(today.now())) + "/1/" + cstr(year(today.now()))))

It simply takes the first day of this month and subtracts one day from it giving the last day of the previous month...

If you have a better way to accomplish this task, I'd love to see it :w00t:

Thanks,

Robert

• Assuming you have a SQL data source, you can create a dataset using this query:

selectdateadd(mm,datediff(mm,0,getdate())-1,0) [FirstDate],

dateadd(dd,-1,dateadd(mm,datediff(mm,0,getdate()),0)) [LastDate]

It will return the first and last day of the previous month. Tie your parameters to the results of this query and you're set.

• thanks for sharing this guys...i was using TSQL and then using that into expression....

• If you need this type of info a lot, you could also consider a dates table. Recent article about building one.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Date+Manipulation/65195/

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• dknaus,

I like your method better....

Thanks!

• I have used the above expression but it gives error some times if the date is in American format.

So am using now dateadd("d",-1,dateserial(year(Today),month(Today),1))

• Be careful with that query - if you're working with pure dates that may be fine, but if you're using datetime, you're losing the last day of the last month. It returns, for example, '2009-11-30 12:00:00 AM', but what you'd really want is '2009-11-30 23:59:99'.

You could compensate for this a few different ways. What I did was simply add the number of seconds in a day, minus 1 (86399 seconds):

select dateadd(mm,datediff(mm,0,getdate())-1,0) [FirstDate],

dateadd(s, 86399, dateadd(dd,-1,dateadd(mm,datediff(mm,0,getdate()),0))) [LastDate]

• Dave K-596875 (12/15/2008)

Assuming you have a SQL data source, you can create a dataset using this query:

selectdateadd(mm,datediff(mm,0,getdate())-1,0) [FirstDate],

dateadd(dd,-1,dateadd(mm,datediff(mm,0,getdate()),0)) [LastDate]

It will return the first and last day of the previous month. Tie your parameters to the results of this query and you're set.

How do you change the format of these dates in an expression in reporting services?

I want the format to be in dd/ monthname/ YYYY in an expression so that I can concatenate it with a string.

• Only issue I have with the subtracting of 3 milliseconds, it may work with the current datetime data type, but won't with the new datetime data types in SQL Server 2008.

Also, when selecting from a date range, it would be better to use the following:

WHERE

MyDateTime >= BeginDateRange -- (ie 2009-12-01)

AND MyDateTime < EndDateRange -- (ie 2010-01-01)

• Touchwood i havnt had any problems running against 2008 yet (using ssrs2008).

When im working between two dates in SSRS I tend to use:

Between @startdate AND @enddate

which has worked a treat so far 🙂

• PS. Im shocked im able to contribute now 😀 go me!

• Hi,

You would love me for this....

Enter the expression in Report Parameters, Default,

Non-Queried field:

=DateSerial(Year(today()),Month(today())-1,1)

This gives me the first day of the previous month. Take out the -1 to get

the first day of the current month.

To get the last day of the previous month, use:

=DateSerial(Year(today()),Month(today()),0)

This would only work with Expression builder though, I also had a hard time trying to figure out a way to get the first and last day of the month. This will work every time.

Johana

• SELECT _________ FROM ______ AS Data

WHERE DATEPART(month, Data.The_Date_Field)

= DATEPART(month, DATEADD(month, -1, GETDATE()));

(Say, when I screw up, how do I delete my post instead of editing it to say "oops"?)

• oops

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply