Large number of users using Access ade?

• I have a SQL Server db and an Access adp.  I've always heard that Access wasn't appropriate if you had a lot of users.  I would have to allow for at least up to 200 users.  Will Access work for me?  Are there special considerations I need to keep in mind?

Thanks.

J. Bagwell

UVA Health System

• It's the Access engine - ie Jet - that isn't appropriate for large number of users. If you're using SQL server, and just using Access as the interface, you should be fine.

(Assuming proper design, enough server resource etc etc . . . )

• We use a couple of hundred access clients all hitting a server at the same time in an intensive call center environment every year and its always coped fine (though sometimes the occasional twiddle to a config here or there may be needed)

If its a plain simple interface that doesn't benefit specifically from being in Access, and development times arent stupidly short then personally id recommend using something like .net

martin

• Believe me, if we had .net skills in house, that's what I'd choose too.  But we don't, and the development time is ASAP. 

Thanks.

J. Bagwell

UVA Health System

• Whether it's the Access front end, a VB app, a .net app, or script in an Excel spreadsheet, you're likely using ADO to talk to the SQL Server.  I don't see how the database would know or care who started the call.  The biggest bottlenecks are going to be in the elegance of design and the use (or non-use) of well written Stored Procedures.

Student of SQL and Golf, Master of Neither

• I created a time card application about 5-6 years ago with several hundred users that is still in use today (MS Access 97 application).  It can be done.

J. Grasty

Centex Title And Insurance

• This is all very encouraging.  Thanks. 

J. Bagwell

UVA Health System

• "I don't see how the database would know or care who started the call"

I quite agree

but from a client/front end point of view, access's gui abilities and standard available controls SUCK - and to me db applications arent just a well written database with well written application code, its also about making an interface that makes the users job as simple, quick, easy, automatic and intuative as possible - those extra couple of seconds it might take them to do something with a crappy control * so many times a day * so many users can work up to a fair few wasted man hours! I think there are far too many systems around which are basically a few controls bolted onto databases that hinder how a user could work. (I have to work with enough of them)

martin
  • Yep - I absolutely agree with the recommendation of dotnet front end rather than Access - I've used classic VB until recently, and now VS2005, and personally would never use Access for interface development (though yes, you can push Jet quite a long way as a database) - but when I posted 'you'll be fine with Access' I was answering the question 'Can I use my existing app with lots of users' not 'What development tools do you recommend'

Particularly agree with Martin's post too

pg

• oh out of interest, ive simulated a good 500+ people hitting sql server from access at the same time and things kept going and going

You may run into problems with number of connections to SQL server and the number of threads the sql server is set to run if certain types of connection are set up which you may need to twiddle - I mailed a big post on that subject here a while back, if I could only remember where!

many thanks

martin

• I also agree with Martin and Access is not my first choice. I actually had our web group write this program 6 months ago, but their interface really SUCKS!  (it is not .net....)  They do a decent job with static web page design, but I think they are not used to writing data entry.  They refuse to take my suggestions about the UI and I don't have enough clout to make them change.  As I said, no .net skills in house.  I'd love to learn, but don't have the time to learn for this project.  So, Access it is.  Luckily, my app will have many users, but not frequent use.  One small set of users will use it daily, the other 190 will only use it once each quarter and not all at the same time, so I'm hoping for the best. 

Thanks again and wish me luck! 

J. Bagwell

UVA Health System

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply