Laptop life span

• I have lost all my work for the last few years because my box that is less than three years just quit on me on Monday. I am currently numb because I paid for two years of service on the box the one year without service and the box is almost toast. How can something that cost so much be almost disposable? Where is the federal trade commission when thieves are selling alomst useless boxes.

BTW it is Toshiba Satellite P105 running Centrino Duo, there was no lastknown good. I want some answers.

:crazy:

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Have you looked at the possibility of removing the HDD and extracting the information from there? or is it completly fried ?

• I don't think it was fried but I had to use the factory disk to get it to restart connected to another monitor, so strange the factory disk contains XP 2002 but the box was running XP 2005 I had no idea the factory disk can be a different version of the operating system. Note to self don't store any file in a computer HDD.

Thanks.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• There's a fundamental difference between a hard drive failing and the laptop being disposable.

My 18 month old Toshiba had a drive start to fail. I replaced it, working fine so far. I could, and perhaps may, call about service, but I don't want another 150GB drive.

How long should it last? A year warranty for an electronic device that you carry around seems pretty good to me. If it fails beyond that, I think either it got beat up a bit more than intended or you're one of the unlucky ones with a low MTBF.

I have a 6 year old Dell that was a refurb that's still going and the kids love it. the battery won't hold a charge, but it works for them. I've also had Dells that needed service within a year.

• There's a fundamental difference between a hard drive failing and the laptop being disposable.

I don't know if it is the hard drive because it is working now with another monitor, but when a system less than three years just quit and I loose everything including the .NET framework it is almost disposable to me.

How long should it last? A year warranty for an electronic device that you carry around seems pretty good to me. If it fails beyond that, I think either it got beat up a bit more than intended or you're one of the unlucky ones with a low MTBF.

I paid for two years service and had no problem for that period now it is not three years yet and the thing blows, I don't think I beat it up but I had SQL Server 2005/8, VS2005/8 Team Suites and Office 2007. The rest was code because I like to try what most users say they are doing when I reply so when the person come back it is not working what part does not work. So now I see many question and having a hard time answering because Office 2007 is the only thing I have reinstalled. I had employer issued in the past without problems so I think this is Office depot selling me one of those Toshiba lemons. Hey thanks I was just unhappy with my box blowing.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Understand your frustration, and sympathies, but think this falls under the general concept of "The life expectancy of the unit is [length of warranty] plus one day"

Think also maybe manufacturers aren't trying to get hardware to run for a decade, knowing that it's outdated and outstripped within the time it takes to ship.

My (cynical) two cents.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• sorry to hear about your issues, and glad it's working. It is frustrating and I was cursing Toshiba when mine died, but it was frustration and I know it wasn't just shoddy workmanship. A certain percentage of products fail, and they should be replaced. However I think 2 years is a pretty good time. It could fail after that.

I'll say that I think this is one place that having a VM for work like development makes sense. Easily move your stuff to another machine, or keep a backup.

• I have lost all my work for the last few years

If this was one of your production sql databases then you would be restoring it from the backup onto another machine, possibly even right up to the few minutes before it went down via the transaction logs.

So what's the difference with your laptop data?

With memory sticks and cd/dvd (r or rw) so cheap now and online storage via internet or ftp, backing up even laptops or mobiles is easy.

Machine reliability is one thing but you can't justify complaining about lost data. You chose the backup policy for the laptop so you made the choice to lose that data rather than back it up.

• I have most of that but reinstalling everything is PITA and I paid Office Depot enough money so this box can be made whole if needed. That did not happen so I am going to buy direct from manufacturer and insure for the duration of use.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• I also had a Toshiba Satellite that lasted only two years. And there were many repairs within that two years.

• As you suffered, any DRP should include your "day to day working environment" as well.

Don't you just love those 1TB usb disks 😎

Combined with a good Ghost software it is a life saver :hehe:

My previous Dell had a HDD crash after 3years and 11 months.

In those days, we were entitled - in house regulation - to a new laptop every 4 years.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• I also had a Toshiba Satellite that lasted only two years. And there were many repairs within that two years.

Thanks for that we should start Toshiba annoyances club.

:hehe:

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• I feel for you 🙁 but shame on you for not having a backup or disaster plan in place for your valuable data.

Even though I don't care for Toshiba products, I don't think it is fair to blame Toshiba.

All vendors have hardware that fails!

Count on it!

It's not IF it will fail but WHEN will it fail!

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers

• I had backup but data backup and development backup are not the same that is the reason software development companies sell source control systems. So the only way I will not blame Toshiba is if I am running a source cotrol system where I can check out my code. I have been at a place where our database server failed twice even with source control it took two days to recover.

😉

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Gift Peddie (7/24/2009)

I had backup but data backup and development backup are not the same that is the reason software development companies sell source control systems. So the only way I will not blame Toshiba is if I am running a source cotrol system where I can check out my code. I have been at a place where our database server failed twice even with source control it took two days to recover.

😉

I'm sorry, but there really needs to be some personal responsibility taken here. Your laptop is over two years old and apparently this is the first time it failed, and you are blaming Toshiba for the loss of data? Give me a break. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply