killing a spid without rollback

• Hi,

Background :

Im in the middle of archiving old data. I have a table with 6million rows. I issues a delete statement which should have deleted about half the data. It has been running for 17 hours and is now causing huge problems. The site has become unusable. I cant determine how much data is left to delete. I want to kill the spid and delete smaller batches of data but am afraid that the rollback will take too long.

Question :

Is there a way to kill a spid without it going into a rollback state ?

• Nope, a DELETE like an UPDATE or INSERT is an 'all or nothing' transaction. If you kill the process, the delete has not finished (<>all deleted) so everything will rollback.

Your delete might be caught in a loop, it might be blocked, it might be deadlocked....you will need to review the script, the processes, etc to see what might be the problem. But stopping it will cause a rollback - Which might be a good thing. How do you know what your delete is doing? If it's taking an unusually long time, it might be doing the wrong thing.

-SQLBill

• For future reference, you may want to consider doing what I do when deleting a considerable amount of archived data.  I create a temporary table where I store the values of the primary key column of the table I want to delete then I run a vb program that loops through the temporary table and deletes only the records from the first table based on a match in the temporary table.  It is cursor like since it loops through each record, but you may able to use the idea to come up with a way to run it in query analayzer.  I usually make the temporary table column be the primary key and run the loop in an easily manageable set of 10K or 20K rows, depending on response time.  I also remove the entries from the temp table after I delete them from the primary table.  It sometimes takes a while, but the primary table is not usually locked for a long period since the transaction set is small.

• thanks for the guys...ill keep that in mind when archiving the additional data

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply