Killed tran log backup process

• Hi All,

On one of the server the tlog backup was taking nearly 4 hours for a 100gb log file and one of my colleague had killed the backup process expecting to rollback immediately. But still the rollback process is running for more than 24 hours. Will restarting the services will make the database inaccessible for a few mins for recovery process to complete. I am able to take full backups and the log file is filling up the drive and I am unable to take log backups.Please advise.

• First...tell you colleague not to kill a backup :w00t:

If you check Activity Monitor or query sp_who/sp_who2 what wait-type does it show for the rollback process?

Shawn Melton
    Twitter: @wsmelton
    Blog: wsmelton.github.com
    Github: wsmelton

• I had checked in activity monitor. Its showing BACKUPTHREAD and another one IO_COMPLETION

• You can restart the service. The DB will go into recovery, for how long is another matter. Could be seconds, could be hours.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi Gail,

LogFile size is growing rapidly. Can we use the backup log with truncate_only option to clear the log except the active log and we need to take a full or diff backup immediately. I think this is the best option to minimize the log growth (backup log with truncate_only and full or diff) until the rollback completes.

Thanks

• I don't believe you'll be able to do that while there's a log backup running, even if it's in rollback.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply