Kill a spid in EM

• I have a spid process which blockd the other 3 processes. When I try to kill this SPID from EM, it works fine, but when refreshing the screen, this process apprears again.

Why this process cannot be killed (without any error when kill it in EM) ?

Is there any way to force killing?

Thanks

• hi,

this is not mine so please dont give me credit for it, but it worked for me so hopefully it will for you too. this script is from this site...

also look for USP_KillUsers on this site.....

Sandeep

--enhanced 02/04/2005 to also list hostname    

CREATE PROCEDURE sp_Kill   

@DBNAME VARCHAR(30)   

--Stored procedure to Delete SQL Process   

AS   

BEGIN   

SET NOCOUNT ON   

DECLARE @SPID INT   

DECLARE @STR NVARCHAR(50)   

DECLARE @HOSTNAME NVARCHAR(50)   

CREATE TABLE #TMPLOG (   

SPID INT,   

ECID INT,   

STATUS VARCHAR(50),   

LOGINAME VARCHAR(255),   

HOSTNAME VARCHAR(50),   

BLK INT,   

DBNAME VARCHAR(30),   

CMD VARCHAR(100)    

INSERT INTO #TMPLOG EXEC SP_WHO   

IF @@ERROR <> 0 GOTO Error_Handle   

DECLARE CURPROCESSID CURSOR FOR SELECT SPID FROM #TMPLOG   

WHERE DBNAME LIKE @DBNAME   

OPEN CURPROCESSID   

FETCH NEXT FROM CURPROCESSID INTO @SPID   

SELECT @HOSTNAME=HOSTNAME FROM #TMPLOG WHERE SPID=@SPID   

IF @SPID IS NOT NULL   

PRINT 'Spid Process Kill List For database: ' + @dbName   

ELSE   

PRINT 'NO Processes Exist to be killed on database ' + @dbName   

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0    

BEGIN   

SET @STR = 'KILL ' + CONVERT(VARCHAR,@SPID)   

EXEC SP_EXECUTESQL @STR    

PRINT convert(varchar,@spid) + ' - ' + @HOSTNAME   

IF @@ERROR <> 0 GOTO ERROR_HANDLE   

FETCH NEXT FROM CURPROCESSID INTO @SPID   

END   

Error_Handle:   

IF @@ERROR <> 0 PRINT 'Error killing process - ' +  convert(varchar,@spid) + ' - ' + @HOSTNAME   

drop table #tmpLog   

SET NOCOUNT OFF   

END   

Kind Regards,

Sandeep Kataria

• Thanks for the help. If the killed process is still showed in EM, I guess one possible way may be the process is doing 'rollback'.

Is there any way from SQL server EM we can identify the killed process is doing rollback or the process does not get killed?

From EM process_info the status only show running/sleeping. IS there any status show rollback or killed something?

• Right click on the process and select Properties. That will show you all or most of what command is running.

-SQLBill

• yes, I saw the command this process was running, but my quesiton is after this process is KILLed from EM without any error, why this process is still showing on the process info window with the same command showing from Properties?

Is there a place I can check if this process is running rollback or where I can see the status of this KILLed process marked as 'KILLED' or smonthing else ?

• Could be 2 things.

1) the spid is rolling back...From query analyser, run kill <spid> with rollback.  This will give you a percentage of rollback completion.

2) the spid could have been picked up and used by another process.

• I have a similar problem on occasion with rogue processes. However, once I kill them, the process shows Killed/Rollback in the status. There are times when I have to stop and restart the agent in order to get the agent to refresh. Usually, when the agent restarts, the process is gone.

• Thanks all for the inputs. I really appreciate your helps.

So SQL server does have killed/rollback type of status. I do not understand why my killed process was still showed as 'sleeping' status, but changed to killed or rollback? Maybe I need to refresh the agent?

I will try to use command to check the rollback %. 

If a process is in sleeping status, how to tell this process is active or inactive? Is sleeping=inactive means doing nothing?

Thanks

• sleeping is either waiting for user input - for example, a query analyser session which is left open.

it can also be a spid waiting for a lock.

• Actually, the problem is the both QA and EM will automatically reconnect a killed connection. For example, if you kill a QA connection using EM, then refresh the Current Actvity, you'll see that conenction has disappeared. But as soon a a query is run, it will reappear. It will even take on a new SPID if the old one is in use by another connection.

• Thanks!!

• Did you refresh your view?

-SQLBill

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply