Keeping SQL Server Instance name between different machines

• Dear colleagues,
    I know that the better option to move a server is to a new version, but sometimes have no choices,  I need to do it from  a physical server to a virtual machine server and  due to some business restrictions the same version,  the more important restriction that I have is that we have to conserve server and instance name in the new virtual machine server, somebody tells me that, we could include a DNS record pointing to the old server but with the new server IP address, this instance has stored procedures, linked servers and views, and a very rigorous SLA,  that does not allow me to have time to play with it and I need to have an already sql server instance ready for replacement, I'm searching for  what is the best practice ?, when I have to move a server/named instance and conserve their names in a new machine.
    Thanks  for your ideas

• If you don't like the idea of an extra DNS entry, then you're going to be dealing with renaming the new server after it has been setup.  
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/install-windows/rename-a-computer-that-hosts-a-stand-alone-instance-of-sql-server
    Having a named instance doesn't really affect this process, you can have the same named instance on several different servers.
    For example, if your current instance is OldServer\MyInstance, you can build the new VM as NewServer\MyInstance, do the migration, then change server names, then follow the instructions in the article I linked to rename internal references.

There will be some unavailable time, which may vary depending on how you do the migration of user databases.  Maybe you could take full backups, restore them to the new server with NORECOVERY, then take transaction log backups to capture any last changes and restore those to the new server to help minimize the downtime.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/t-sql/statements/restore-statements-transact-sql

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply