Keep It Simple

• If anyone wants the original scripts they are available at the address below.

I believe she did add a fix after I got them, but I have not had any problems.

I thought maybe Kim had updated them for SQL 2008 using dynamic views instead of dbcc showcontig, but it does not look like it.

JohnS

http://www.sqlskills.com/demoscripts.asp

Index Maintenance

This sample script will help you to automate the process of rebuilding indexes using CREATE with DROP_EXISTING for the clustered indexes and DBCC DBREINDEX for the nonclustered. If you are trying to achieve high availability you should consider using DBCC INDEXDEFRAG instead.

sp_RebuildIndexes.txt

• As to the power and energy question, I have to admit I am not entirely convinced of the need of considerations for curbing computing for energy conservation... this just doesn't add up for me when it comes to potential loss

I think we are only a technology step away from major power improvements... kind of like the low wattage and LED based bulbs are compared to the old vacuum filament style bulbs.

There is no reason (excepting initial cost) that everyone should not be taking themselves "off the grid" these days. If it were "built-in" into new housing, the increase in cost on the home could be wrapped into the mortgage, but paid for itself in lack of a monthly power bill. And I think it is going to get far better than it is now. I still believe that this front is largely held back, both in legislation and in emphasis. In many places it is not legal to remove one's property from the grid.

Of all the factors holding back technology, I strongly believe energy is not one of them. We just aren't spending enough energy in finding sparky new ideas, from equipment that uses less power to power generation. We have the proof infront of our noses... er... rather behind our noses... the human body uses more energy daily, on far smaller fuel sources, than any type of power generation yet at hand. This theme is what the Matrix movie was based on... on an extreme scale (and with great artistic license).

Sure, I will turn the lights out when I leave a room. But I do not think it is wise to establish any computing policies and procedures solely on the basis of energy conservation, especially when those policies impose more risk for a company. Those numbers just don't add up.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply