KB4057113 Installation Issue - sqlsupport.msi

• amy26 - Thursday, May 31, 2018 2:53 PM

Sue_H - Thursday, May 31, 2018 8:04 AM

amy26 - Thursday, May 31, 2018 7:42 AM

Totally agree, our sites are identical... as much as they can be.  I am at a loss why the production site didn't go as smoothly.  At least with production I didn't have all the missing MSI file stuff...

The current log file in the instance's \Setup Bootstrap\Log directory should have more information on what the problem is. You should at least be able to see where it is hung up.

Sue

Which LOG would I need to check?  I looked in there and I didn't see anything that told me much of anything.

Probably "Detail.txt" for you in this case under \Setup Bootstrap\Log\Subfolder(s). Every time you try to install SQL creates sub folder with logs in it, so check the time stamp for the current installation logs and search for errors.

• Sreekanth B - Thursday, May 31, 2018 3:31 PM

amy26 - Thursday, May 31, 2018 2:53 PM

Sue_H - Thursday, May 31, 2018 8:04 AM

amy26 - Thursday, May 31, 2018 7:42 AM

Totally agree, our sites are identical... as much as they can be.  I am at a loss why the production site didn't go as smoothly.  At least with production I didn't have all the missing MSI file stuff...

The current log file in the instance's \Setup Bootstrap\Log directory should have more information on what the problem is. You should at least be able to see where it is hung up.

Sue

Which LOG would I need to check?  I looked in there and I didn't see anything that told me much of anything.

Probably "Detail.txt" for you in this case under \Setup Bootstrap\Log\Subfolder(s). Every time you try to install SQL creates sub folder with logs in it, so check the time stamp for the current installation logs and search for errors.

Yup that or the Summary.txt file is for whatever the last installation was. It gives a high level overview. Summary.txt is generally the only file in there and the rest are folders for installs.
    The folders are named with YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS with the date being the install date, time being install time using 24 hour.  There are summary and detail text files in each as well datastore and resource folders.

Sue

• The documentation for the setup logs:
    View and Read SQL Server Setup Log Files

Sue

• Yea the logs for the security patch in the summary and detail just say everything was successful woo hoo.

But I guess the patch just didn’t get a chance to clean up after itself and sql still thinks it’s being updated.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply