Just sharing an experience related to backups.

• You've all by now seen my tag about 'Backup(Backup(Your backups)).  Well, here's a real-life scenario:

My friend, a PHD candidate at a local university, had materials related to his working dissertation on a 2.5" USB drive.  Couple weeks ago he tried to access it and it has failed.  The light blinks for a bit, then it turns off.  The disk won't spin up at all.

He first took it to a local electronics store who estimated $1100.00, and gave it back to him with case broken open, the label laying loose inside, and the screw loose.

So we contacted my trusted local shop, who recommended a place in CA.  Very nice folks there paid for FedEx Overnight service to examine the drive and give an estimate.  After their analysis they feel they can recover the data.  That is the GOOD news.

Now the BAD news.  Their estimate for TRYING to recover the data is a range from $3050.00 to a maximum of $3500.00, with a guarantee of no charge if not successful.

Now, I'm not bad-mouthing this company or their service and abilities.  I'm just saying again:

Backup(Backup(your backups)).

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• And then test them through a restore process.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• And make a second copy.

Sorry, Rick, that sucks. I did this years ago for a server drive at a company. It was around USD$3k in the 90s.

And now to go make a few backups.

• Well, I just got the bad news.  DriveSavers gave it a valiant effort but determined the disk surfaces are damaged due to a head crash and the data is defintely lost.  Said they replaced all the internals in the effort, to no avail.

Since they could not recover the data, there is NO COST to us for the effort.   And they are returning the original drive and the new replacement to us.   The heart-breaking thing is that I have to tell our dear friend Ronaldo that his PHD-candidate documents are lost.   I don't know the extent of the problems this is going to cause for him.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• Oh, that stinks. So sorry.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply